Chapter 1

It was just before noon, when I arrived at Brent Co. for my final interview. I stifled a yawn. All the anxiety was starting to catch up. I shook myself as I rode the elevator to the twelfth floor fiddling with the strap of my bag. I scolded myself, I had to get a grip of my nerves. I didn't need the job, but I wanted it. I had been working at my current company for 5 years, and I was tired. I felt like my career was going nowhere, and with a masters' degree in business and a passion for making the world a better place - for lack of a better word - Brent Co. had just the opportunity I had been longing for. A change, brave new challenge, working with the brightest minds, in one of the most competitive medium sized companies - what could an independent career driven woman want.

It took me a few minutes to reach the entrance to Mr Gregory Lucas' office. The carpets were navy blue, rather plush for an office, but the furnishes were bold, modern, and added to the prestige of this empire.

"Have a seat, Mr Lucas is just finishing up and will be with you shortly" the secretary chirped after some brief introductions.
"Thank you". I sat and started to fiddle with my notebook.

"Can I get you anything?"

"No, thank -"

The door opened just then and two gentlemen filed out.

"I'm telling you Greg. 3 months. That's all it takes to re-engineer a new more feasibly strategy" the man said with a confident voice.

"Of course you would say that. Let's see." The man laughed back before he suddenly turned at the edge of where I sat to face me.

I tried to look away but I couldn't. "Anyway, for now, I have more dealings for today. Miss Paul is it?"

"Yes?" I stood up, rather shy of now being the center of attention. The man who had first spoken turned around and I almost did a double take as I swept my eyes across him. He was incredibly gorgeous. His steel grey eyes met mine evenly and I felt my cheeks start to heat up.

I'm sure I heard the secretary giggle at what must have been the look on my face.

"Miss Paul." Gregory Lucas said taking my hand "pleasure to meet you. Scott I will be seeing you."

I managed to smile as the man nodded, turned and walked away almost completely oblivious at my reaction to him, and more annoyingly at his easy dismissal of me. Who was he?

"Come in" Gregory said noting my hand was still very much dead in his.

I snapped up. I must have looked so foolish. "Thank you Mr Lucas. It is an honour to get to meet with you."

"And mine. Let's get started shall we?"