Chapter 20

1 week later

It was time to go. The glam squad had frowned at my obvious weight-loss, but had managed to turn me from a ghost into a princess for the Mayor's birthday event. It was a night not to be missed, and Linda had resolved it was the best way to get Scott and I out in public for the first time without getting too much attention on us.

Scott and I had avoided each other. He had returned to work and sent an obligatory message my way about staying in the penthouse close to work. I was so mad I became numb.

We picked him up on the way and I barely looked his way. I had resigned myself from reaching out to him. We pulled up to the state house theatre and the door opened.

Scott sighed as he stepped out and held his hand out for me. I plastered my smile and stepped out. He held me firmly around the waist as we posed for the photographers. We stopped in front of CNN for a quick interview, and I stayed by his side and watched him. He looked good. His tuxedo was navy and his hair was a little long brushing the back of his collar, and he smelt – my breath hitched. I was getting carried away again. I perked up when the microphone was thrust in my face.

"So good to see you are doing well Ms Paul."

"Thank you Susan. Also thanks to everyone who sent some support our way." I repeated the rehearsed response Linda had given me.

"So the wedding is 3 weeks away. How is everything going? Any sneak previews you can tell us?"

Scott was watching me his facial features soft. I smiled.

"You know I can't reveal any details. Everything is going well and I can't wait to walk down the aisle."

Scott chuckled and our eyes met. He squeezed my waist and pecked my cheek quickly.

"Too cute! We will see you soon!" she signed off.

We went inside and we were immediately invited back stage as VIPs to see action before the show.

There were a bunch of girls no older than 8 years old fixing their tutus. The art director saw me watching them and informed me they were the Mayor's daughter's ballet class. I smiled. One tiara fell at my feet. I scooped it up and looked up to find a small chubby girl grinning at me.

"Hello." I whispered slightly uncomfortable.

"Hello. You're pwetty." She reached out and touched a loose strand of my hair.

"I think you're prettier." I said shaking my head.

"Can you help me?" she pointed at the tiara.

I nodded. She wasn't shy as she took my hand and dragged me to a make-up chair.

I brushed her hair and styled it like the other girls before placing the tiara, all the while the little girl, Lily, talked animatedly. I found myself laughing at her innocence. As I wiped a tear the little girl looked into the mirror and said.

"Is that your friend?" she asked. I caught Scott behind me watching with an expression on his face I couldn't comprehend.

"Yes it is. Do you want to meet him?"

She nodded and Scott stepped forward. Lily started to blush as Scott complimented her. She asked to touch his face because it looked like the prince's on her Disney movie.

As I watched the exchange I felt like a load was lifted from me. My little child may not have made it, but I had – and if she were anything like Lily, she was too innocent to want blame cast between her parents. For misery to live in our home, for her short life to have brought destruction. I owed her. To spend my days helping those little babies who were here and reminded me that life didn't have to be so messed up.