Chapter 9

Sunday brought the food market with Sarah and Pam

"How are you holding up?" Pam asked. I knew what she meant.

"I'm fine. I went on a date with Sean from Miami." Sarah smiled, I figured I might as well breach the subject, "at the end of the night I bumped into Scott with that model Vanessa. He called her his fiancé."

Sarah gapped. "Really? That's interesting."

"I feel like a second class whore and mistress."

Pam laughed. "Sorry to break it to you, but when you have a one night stand, it is classified under whore. Don't let it bug you. I am a whore a few times over."

Sarah shook her head as I tried to laugh and lighten up.

"I just thought it was different." I admitted.

"I know honey. Let it go okay?" Pam warned.

Knowing she was right and I had resolved to do so I felt a little better. Definitely time to move on.

___________________

I returned to the office on Monday and life went on as usual. I would spot Scott with a client heading into his office now and again and when our eyes would meet, I would look away and go about my business. I felt I had managed to suppress my desires for the Dainway CEO by the time our team building retreat rolled around the following week. We headed to the resort early Tuesday morning.

Two coaches came this time and I was relieved I got on a different bus from Scott. It allowed me to do much better without him.

In the early morning I took a jog up the mountain behind the resort. It was fresh clean air and I was enjoying the scenery when I came across a fallen tree on the hiking trail. I tried to overstep it and instead slipped and let out a yelp as I went down between the branches and I fell to my knees. I started cursing as pain set in as I tried to get up.

"Are you okay?" I heard a familiar voice next to me.

Scott appeared in jogging attire. His tight vest sculpted his torso in the sexiest way. His chest was heaving from running and I watched his muscles flex. Sweat glistened his bare arms and his hair was messy atop his head. I gulped.

"I'm fine." I hissed wishing my attraction could be murdered.

"Let me help you." He reached me and put out his hand. I hesitated before I took it.

He pulled me up and my face scrunched with discomfort. My ankle hurt a little.

He placed me on a rock on the side of the trail and started to move to my feet.

"Are you hurt Rachel?" I could see the concern building up in his gaze as he pressed the area around my ankle.

"I said I'm fine." I shot back as the pain pulsated through my leg.

He raised an eyebrow but said nothing. He slowly removed his hands.

"Rachel. I'm trying to help."

"I don't need your help." I said childishly. My ego was bruised and I was letting it show.

He brought his hand to cup my cheek.

"You can hate me but I'm not leaving you like this." He said.

I looked down at him kneeling by my feet. I couldn't deny the warmth of his hand calmed me. It was endearing. His eyes darkened as he moved my legs apart with his body sliding between and brought my face to his.