Chapter 2

I got the job. I was silently jumping up and down as I listened to the HR Officer go on. "So we will see you in a month" she rounded off before I agreed and hung up. I was ecstatic. I had survived those dreaded interviews - well Mr Lucas had been pleasant. A sharp mind but conversational. He hadn't even grilled me, we had just talked and I had felt really good walking out of there. I felt on top of the world. The HR Officer had shared with me a more than generous offer, then again the company I worked for all of us employees earned pennies. I had accepted on the spot. Not even second-guessing my decision. Carpe Diem! I use to say when I was younger and more spirited - yes, I believed at 27 you couldn't pull the 'young' card.

"Mom!" I shouted from the top of the stairs.

"In here." She chimmed back.

I rushed down in milli-seconds and hugged her from where she stood sewing the hem of a blouse.

"I got the job!"

"You did? Ofcourse you did! That is absolutely amazing!" she shrieked," it's going to change your life".

"I know! Our lives mom! Oh my goodness! How I know!" tears welled up. I was happy, relieved, excited, and fearful all the same time. I felt something would suddenly come and snatch it away without me truly reveling in the joy and more than that the experience of working at the company.

"Oh darling" my mom dropped her task and took her hands in mine, "Don't you start to fret. Enjoy this blessing. I am so proud of you."

I smiled. I could always count on my mom to see my train of thought.

I nodded knowing she was right. "Thanks Mom."

"I will make you proud. This will improve our lives a whole lot more."

"HA! Already thinking of others." She said clapping her hands together, "All I want dear is for you to be happy. That in itself is perfect."

I could just see her eyes cloud with her fantasy. Grandchildren and a dotting husband for her only daughter.

"I'm going to tell Dylan tonight" I said bringing her back from her thoughts.

Dylan was my long-term boyfriend. 2 years, and not going strong. The past year he had sort of dropped the act of a loving man and had become obsessed with being rich and successful, and I had taken a back seat. I wanted him to be all of those things he wanted, but it was costing us a lot and I had tired of him. Yet, my mom adored him, and he lived close to her, and I didn't have the nerve to rattle feathers. I wasn't getting younger and maybe this was the reality of relationships they never tell young girls about. Take the best of what you can get.

_____

Dylan asked me to fetch him from his office. I arrived a little earlier than anticipated so I could beat the traffic. He worked in a boutique law firm that was on the brink of merging with a bigger enterprise which would jet-set his career. His words, not mine. I decided to go in as his phone was going to voicemail.

I waved at Debbie who was the team's assistant. She smiled rather nervously. Odd, as she was usually very bubbly. I went on to Dylan's cubicle and stopped short of the entrance when I heard a woman's laugh that sounded like a sexy purr. "Try me." He said, "You won't be disappointed". Was Dylan flirting? In the office. I cringed. Before I heard any more I walked in on them. The lady, slightly older than I expected her to be, was leaning against Dylan's desk her red heels flashing, and her overly tight pencil skirt struggling to stay straight against her thighs. I cleared my throat.

"Hi" I said shortly.

Dylan looked up. He did not look pleased to be interrupted.

I wasn't about to back down.