Chapter 23

The sun was streaming in from a small gap through the curtains and as it touched my face I stirred. I was in bed. I remembered Scott waking me up some time during the night for us to head upstairs, and having enough energy to make it to my room throw on some nightwear and fall asleep again.

I freshened up noting I had slept in. IT was one of the best sleeps I had had in ages. As I headed down I could hear Linda chatting away. I rounded the corner to find a grinning Scott leaning back watching an enthused Linda pace up and down all the while throwing her hands up and talking at a million words per second. Scott's smile made my cheeks warm. 

"Good morning." Gabriela rounded the breakfast bar and pulled a chair for me before turning to pour me some coffee.

"Hey." Scott said as he took a sip of his coffee.

"Hi." 

"Good morning Mrs Dainway." Linda declared. She was extremely chirpy, I'd never seen this side of her before.

"Hi Linda.May I ask what I'm missing?" 

"Oh!" Linda took a remote and switched on the news.

"In other news, on the close of business yesterday, Dainway Industries announced a signing of a multi-million dollar deal for the expansion of the energy and water sector following a conference in Austin,Texas. This saw the conglomerate's share price sky rocket to the best in this decade with no competition in sight for the next few years."

I turned and starred at them. 'Wow." was all I could muster.

"Yes m'am!" Linda smiled, " Scott has made his mark as CEO. He has outdone himself. The board is ecstatic and this puts the company so far ahead of its intended targets we can all sit back and pat ourselves on the back."

"Ofcourse you did all of the hard work." Scott scoffed, as he roughed up his hair.

"Well...I helped Mr CEO...you are being called the unstoppable CEO - you know. The Financial times, BBC, and IMF want to interview you."

"Congratulations Scott. I'm happy for you." I finally managed to say after letting the news sink in.  

"Thanks." Scott smiled briefly, before it fell. He watched Gabriela serve me breakfast and disappear out of sight before he spoke again.

"Linda. I have a story for you off of this. I'm the first CEO this decade to sign a deal this big in my first 6 months. It's going to keep me busy and as a result I've had to sacrifice - or you can say put on hold - something dear to me - "

Linda frowned, " What do you mean?"

"You have to get the news out there that the wedding is on hold....indefinitely. And in time Rachel and I will split up because I became a workaholic imbecile." 

"What?" Linda's face reflected shock as she looked between us. I lowered my eyes and concentrated on my breakfast. I hated to admit I was feeling disappointed that Scott was keeping true to his word for us to part ways. And almost immediately after what I thought had been a great date.

"You heard me." Scott didn't look my way. He seemed not to want to gauge how I was reacting to this announcement he hadn't prepared me for.

"Yes, but the contract - "

"Tear up the one between Rachel and me. Grandpa Henry convinced the board last week to sign away the clause. I'd rather we didn't use that story though. It will break mom's heart."

Linda didn't speak immediately. 
"Right. Well, I will do as you ask. Until then, act the loving couple in public until this leaks out the way I handle it."