Chapter 12

I woke to the sound of my door banging. My open eye glanced at my phone beside me. It was 6am and I had 15 missed calls. I sat up. What the hell? I picked it up, throwing a robe over me. Whiskers was already standing at attention by the door. I swung it open. Sarah rushed past me clutching the morning paper from her company.

"Sarah what the -!" I croaked.

"I've been trying to call you!" she said hysterically, "yesterday I was worried we had done the wrong thing. But today I am worrying if YOU are doing the wrong thing. You could've given a girl a head's up." She was pacing and stopped when she realized I was beyond confused.

"Do you have any idea what I am talking about?" She asked.

I shook my head. I knew not to stop Sarah during one of her mid-venting spree. Plus it was too early in the morning. She handed me the paper. I didn't look at it at first.

"The Vanessa story?" I quipped," I know all about it and -"

"Oh no!" Sarah cut me off. A feeling of dread came over me as I watched her look at me with pity. I looked at the front page and as astonishment seeped in, I lowered myself slowly onto the couch.

The headline read 'Who Dainway Had Stashed Away'. A picture of Scott and I leaving his house holding hands - something I had found as a re-assuring gesture at the time - was displayed along with an almost fairytale story of how he and I had been friends from his time at Brent Co, and had started seeing each other when Vanessa had failed to stand by his side throughout his grandfather's ordeal. It went on to reveal that I was expecting and we were engaged, and Vanessa was very happy for us because it had been over for a while.

My jaw dropped. I was dreaming, at least I was so sure I was. How did they even get that picture? Scott's grounds were hidden from public view. And the news that I was pregnant? I feared the worst. Scott and his father had invented this. Without my knowledge or consent. I felt betrayed.

"I checked with the department and they said it was verified by the Dainway camp. It goes on to say that you are having an engagement party in 2 weeks. Which is funny because the mail came with an invitation to this very party you and Scott are throwing. Also it - "

I was a hundred miles away. My mother, Lucy, Patrick and all the staff were going to read this news. I was embarrassed and enraged. Impulsively, I picked up my phone and dialed Scott's number. He picked up with a sleepy voice on the fourth ring.

How dare you!" I screamed, "You manipulated me. You screwed me over. You are going to regret this!"

There was silence on the other line. "Do you hear me?!" I was hurt. He had abused my trust and privacy.

"Rach?" He finally said." What are you talking about?"

'Turn on the tv." Sarah called out for him to overhear. She had switched on the morning news and the story was trending.

"Hold on." I heard a few movements on the line then the blaring of a tv. A minute passed.

"Are you there?" I said, my anger wavering a bit. Surely he knew about this.

A few obscenities came through the line. "I can't fucken believe this." Scott finally spoke to me." Don't go anywhere. I'm coming to get you." With that the line went dead.

I starred at it like it was an alien. What had just happened? He hadn't even acknowledged what he had done.

"Are you okay?'" Sarah asked, "what did he say?"

"He is coming over." I managed to reply before standing up and pacing. "I need to call my mother and cousins before they catch wind of this. I need to call in sick at work. How am I ever going to go back to work?!"