Chapter 5

The week in the office held a lot of pre-travel meetings and before I knew it the day was done. We were travelling up by coach. Friday evening I stood in front of my cupboard, hands on my hips exasperated. I hadn't gone out for a high-profile event in while. I picked out a black dress - one can never go wrong - which had an open back and a design along the hem-line. With some red heels and bag and a few accessories added to the look, I let my hair down in curls. I was ready to go and was grateful my hour glass figure looked appropriate. Sarah was due to pick me up at eight and she was always on time, especially because she was covering the event.

We arrived early while people filed into the gallery. It was vast and displayed oil paintings and photographs from the wild. Sarah had babbled on about it being the beginning of an exclusive venture that had been rumoured for months - so the who's who would be present. She left me to do her rounds for the news, whilst I moved about the room taking in the art.

"A woman whose glass is empty is either a drunk, a guzzler, or a bore." A gentleman commented from behind me.

I swung around to face the man and roll my eyes. He was handsome. He stood tall with green menacing eyes. I studied him for a moment, he was highly attractive in his tux, I decided to play along - why the heck not.

"And one whose glass is full?" I asked. He smirked.

"She is either pregnant, paranoid of letting her hair down, or a whore."

I laughed "And one who isn't holding a glass?"

"She is too young to drink."

"I should take offence to the way you berate woman to such simple analysis. Plus now I don't know whether to get a refill."

"It's just an observation...but I am looking for someone to prove me wrong. Have a drink with me and show me you are one of those ladies whose drink is usually half full - beautiful, confident of herself, and loves my company"

The arrogance would've had me turning him down, but the way he joked with such ease and openness had me comfortable.

"One drink."

He smiled at my response and waved a waitress with a tray of champagne down. He handed it to me and our fingers brushed.

"Chad Holark."

"I'm Rachel Paul."

"Pleasure."

We moved around chatting for a bit. He was an entrepreneur from Florida, and business had brought him into the city. I just listened too shy to say much about myself.

We turned the corner only to come face to face with Scott and the lady from the other night on his arm.

His eyebrow raised.

"Mr Dainway. Hi." I blurted out. I tried not to blush because the woman he was with was starring me down like it would set me alight.

"Hello Rachel."He replied monotone.

"Scotty!" Chad butted in grabbing his hand.

"Long time Chad."

"How is the old man?"

"Good as always." Scott said.

The two men sounded close as they chatted a little. I tried not to compare them, but I couldn't help myself. Scott was dark haired and magnificent, he had this aura that commanded attention. And boy did he looked ravishing in his suit. Chad was blond haired and looked like in another life he was a body builder, he seemed like a jokester and more easy-going.