Chapter 14

I was plucked, pulled, pampered, and fussed over by the glam team which had Timmy, Tony, Theon, and Anna. If I had doubted gay stylists were the best in the business, I was silenced on stepping in front of the large mirror. I looked more beautiful than I had ever been. My hair was down in waves, my face looked flawless - almost as though I wasn't wearing any make up - and the blue dress I wore brought out my curves. The accessories and shoes complimented the vogue look.

Linda grinned at the team and clapped her hands together.

"Mrs Dainway. Absolutely exquisite." Linda said pulling me by the hand before I had a chance to bring myself down to earth.

As we descended the stairs, I spotted Scott at the entrance, he was fidgeting with his cufflinks as he spoke with people. I caught my breath when he turned and caught my gaze. Time seemed to stand still. I blushed as I saw him look me up and down appreciatively. Linda looked at me suspiciously and I quickly turned away as I got to my last step. I mis-stepped and before I fell to the floor, strong arms gripping me by the waist.

"Careful there princess.' Bradley whispered into my ear. I suddenly realized I was pressed against him compromisingly.

I jumped out of his arms, feeling awkward. Linda narrowed her eyes. Scott appeared by my side.

"Baby, are you okay?" he asked pulling me possessively against his side.

"I..erh" I was rendered a little confused at Scott's sudden endearment and actions - forgetting no one knew about us except Linda and his dad.

Bradley smirked. "Best watch out Scotty. She looks prone to falling into someone's arms."

He strode off, but not before giving me a meaningful wink. I felt Scott stiffen.

I slowly removed myself from his clutches as Linda cleared her throat. Scott returned to his spot without another word.

"Let's go." Linda whispered gently for the first time since I met her. I didn't even want to know what was going through her mind. Let alone feel how suddenly embarrassed I was at Scott's sudden attention and then immediate dismissal of me.

I didn't expect the scene before me fifteen minutes later. We stood on a podium with James, Scott's father, opening the discussion to the audience of 50 plus journalists on the lawn. I could barely make out a face nor the branding on the cameras and badges on the group listening intently, shooting pictures, and starring at Scott and me. It was all too much and I found myself trembling with anxiety and feeling a little weak. Scott stood confidently but he seemed to sense my nerves as he turned to me and stroked the back of the hand he had taken earlier and was now holding.

"You look beautiful, don't worry about a thing." He said softly.

I threw him a genuine smile.

"This is an opportune time to announce that my son, heir to the most competitve Conglomerate, will take over in the beginning of the year, as CEO of Dainway Industries."

Just then James called him up, and he kissed my cheek before stepping up.

"I'm proud of you son." James whispered. I saw a moment of warmth, very brief, but very much sincere, pass between the men, and I smiled.

Scott thanked his father and spoke about what he hoped to achieve in the role. I was reminded of the first time I saw him present in the boardroom. His presence alluring, his demeanor radiating silent dominance, and exuding professional confidence. I smiled softly thinking of how underneath that exterior was a man who was amazing. I started thinking of the word amazing, the amazing kisses we had shared, and exactly where he had placed those amazing kisses...

"Questions?" Scott asked, I blinked profusely to remove my head from the gutter, and to tear my eyes from his lips.

"How do you know she is the one Mr Dainway? Considering if she isn't you may lose your rights to take the CEO role of the company?"

Scott glanced at me with adoration even I couldn't define as fake. My nether regions got even hotter.

"Rachel is an amazing woman. I would be devastated to lose her more than I would this company. That speaks to something. I'm with her not because of the company, I'm with her because I love all that she is and stands for. I don't need to know she is the one, I feel it. It's the same way I feel I am breathing to know that I am living."

I didn't notice the tear that escaped my eye until it ran onto my cheek. Linda handed me a tissue and I quickly wiped it - not before I caught a few jealous and "awh" expressions as Scott concluded his profession of unconditional love. I blushed again. I knew it came from my loving him and hearing him almost convincingly say he loved me back. I needed to get myself together.

I realized that Linda had ensured that Scott would handle all the questions and I sighed in relief. Even more when it was over and he took my hand and led me back inside. I let go of the breath I didn't know I was holding.

Scott almost instinctively caressed my cheek.

"You did beautifully." He said.

"Scott. The car is waiting." James called.

He looked at me regrettably. 'Will you be ok? Larry, the driver, will take you back home to pack."

I nodded, too afraid to speak. He smiled "I'll call you." He said before walking away to join his father.

I got home to find boxes outside my door - compliments of Linda I imagined -I laughed to myself, she wasted no time. Inside, whiskers was fast asleep. I opened my laptop to check if Patrick had responded. He had just said it was fine, and I could take all the time I needed. There was an email from Nadia, the HR Manager asking for us to have a meeting. I knew it was going to be a grilling on my relationship with Scott. I groaned. I loved my job but I valued my integrity more. I didn't even want to imagine what the office buzz was right about now. It had been a long day and I didn't know whether to laugh or cry about it. And, I guess at the time I didn't realize it meant both sides of the emotion were heading my way.