chapter two

"Are you ever going to take a day off?" My best friend, Mila, asked as we both wipe the bar down with our towels.

We've been working at Joe's Bar & Grill for two years now and before that it was Katie's Pastries when we were young and enthusiastic. We've just about worked in every restaurant in the area since we were legal and as long as we've been working together, I have never taken a day off.

When you're suddenly the supporter of your household, you don't have time for days off. If I took a day off I don't even think I'd know what to do with myself. What do people do when they're not working?

"Mila, we go over this every time. Work is how you get money in the real world. Remember that place with bills and tuition fees for your little brother and food to survive?"

"Oh, whatever. I have obligations too, but I still find time to enjoy life every once awhile."

"Yeah, yeah. I enjoy life too."

"Hollyn honey, calculating how much money you'll need for your life every second of the day does not constitute as fun." She pinched my cheek like I was a toddler which annoyed me to no end.

"Constitute? What's with the big words? Did you learn them from Alex, the professor, or Niko, the mechanic? Or maybe it's Ryan, the musician?"

"Har bloody har. For your information, two out of three of those people are dead to me. I've only got eyes for my Ryan. Did I tell you he made a song about my body?"

"Oh boy. I do not have time to hear you go on about your thriving love life," I replied, chuckling.

Mila shot me a glare and began fixing the chairs. After finishing my section of the bar, I toss the towel and go about taking inventory. Glancing at the clock I see its almost 3 AM and I'm just about almost done for the night. This is exactly why I hate working nights. Though I can't complain, I'm able to get more tips this way. And tonight, I'm just happy to go back home to my baby brother.

Seeing Brayden transform from the little boy that slept with teddy bears to the Georgetown University playboy he now still makes my head spin. Nonetheless, I still love him. We've always been closer than I am to my two older brothers. Even with our two-year difference since he was a baby we've been attached at the hip. We've had our fights in the past but in the end he's still one of my best friends.

I saw Big Jim still downing drinks in the corner alone and I sighed. Mila raised an eyebrow at me, saying do you want me to handle this? I shook my head and before giving her a small smile.

"No, no, no. That's your last one Big Jim," I told Jim, sliding his glass way.

He grunted and tried to snatch it back, however, his judgment and movements were impaired due to all the alcohol he consumed. He looked around confused as he tried to grab the glass again but missed a whole foot away. I chuckled at his drunken state. Drunk people were always fun to watch. Well, at least some people.

Big Jim was a regular, or at least he was on the nights I was working. He was in his late sixties with a huge pot belly and he suffered from loneliness. The first time he came into this bar was an accident, he simply needed to borrow a phone. But when he saw me he froze in his tracks and began sobbing. He told me that I reminded him of his daughter who passed away a couple years ago. I felt bad for him and gave him a couple of free drinks. Once I got three into him he started confusing me for Claire, his daughter. At first I was freaked out, avoiding him at all costs, but then I realized how sweet he was to his daughter. From then on I was known was Claire to him and he came here to get pissed drunk every Tuesday and Thursday nights.

"C'mon Claire," he slurred, resting his head against the counter. "Don't do this to your old man."

"You have to go to work tomorrow and the taxi I called for you is waiting outside. Get off your lazy ass."