chapter twenty four

Photo's of the Mitchell siblings above in order of age :) Do you think they kind of look alike?

Five days have passed since Brayden and I spoke with Mr. Walter, and the return of Isaac. I haven't seen or heard from Isaac since then, but I also haven't been home as much. Things around the house have been tense between Brayden and me, especially since we haven't been seeing much of each other. I would work early shifts and take the car only to return it back home right before Brayden's shift started. We would exchange a few words in passing as we trade-off the keys, but besides that our life is surrounded by working and catching up on sleep. Tomorrow is both of our day off and I'm almost tempted to call in for an extra shift at the bakery, but decide against it as I know Brayden will probably use that day to spend time with Mila and I'll have the house to myself.

I haven't had the chance to sit down and hang out with my best friend since dinner with Kaiden. I wanted to tell Mila about Isaac, but then that meant explaining everything that has happened and I just didn't have the energy to do so. We've texted each other the past couple of days, but they're mostly of rants of the people at the bar or how much she wishes I was back bartendering with her. Sometimes I wish I was back there too.

I was home alone, reheating some leftovers from last night. I fixed a plate for Brayden, knowing he'll be home in about 10 minutes from work. It was a little routine we had going; I'll get dinner going for him and he'll have breakfast ready. As I waited for my food to warm, I scrolled through my social media feed when I saw a text message come from Kaiden.

Hello?

I open his message and see the other two texts I failed to respond to. I sighed and rested my phone on the counter, feeling as if his eyes were on me if I continued to hold my phone. I felt guilty for not replying, but I knew I couldn't continue whatever we were doing now that Isaac was back. I was too afraid that Isaac will find him and take another part of my happiness away from me. I wouldn't allow myself to feel that type of hurt again. I'd rather end things on my own terms than have someone else decide for me. Hopefully if I ignored Kaiden long enough, he'll get the hint and leave me alone.

As I was taking my food out and putting Brayden's in the microwave, I heard a knock come from the front door. I shake my head in disbelief as I closed the microwave door and pushed a series of buttons. This would have been the third time this week Brayden forgot his house key. I'm not sure why he doesn't just attach it to his set of car keys.

"You know, this is getting a bit old," I say, walking to the door. I unlock the door and was about to playful scold Brayden more until I realized it wasn't him.

Aiden looks up at me, his eyebrows furrowed in a deep scowl. I step back a bit in fear. He was the last person I would expect to be knocking on the door.

"What... what are you doing here?" I breathe.

Behind me, I heard a serious of beeps, indicating that Brayden's dinner was finished warming. Aiden brushes past me and welcomes himself into the foyer. I frown, and turn around and watch as he storms further inside the house.

"You know, you've always been inconsiderate, but I didn't realize how much you lack regard of others," Aiden finally spoke. His voice was daunting, but comforting at the same time. It has been years since I heard it, but I hearing it now transported me back in time when things were good between us. Despite everything that has happened, I missed my older brother.

"Excuse me?" I replied, feeling like I had been slapped on the face. Aiden chuckled a bit to himself and ran a hand over his mouth, trying to contain it.

"You know, you love to show everyone how much of an adult you are," he continued, using air quotes over the word adult. "But you are still a child. You haven't grown at all."