chapter nineteen

"Best birthday ever," I heard Brayden groan, walking down the stairs.

I looked up from my steaming mug of coffee to the sound of his voice. His chestnut brown hair was tousled and looked out of place. He was shirtless, just wearing his boxers. I shook my head at his appearance.

"I can see you had your equal share of fun last night," I responded, grinning.

I went to take a sip from my mug, only to have it taken away from my grasp. Brayden took a sip from my mug and nodded.

"Thanks for this," he said, raising my mug up. He slumped on the stool across from mine. "I don't even remember half of what happened last night. That's always a sign of a good time."

I raised an eyebrow. "What is it you do down there at Georgetown? You better be focused on your studies."

Brayden rolled his eyes. "I'm still undecided. Right now they're just bullshit classes, the general education courses. I can pass those in my sleep."

Brayden was always the brightest out of all of us. He never had to work hard in school, good grades just came easily to him. Tristan was just as smart too, if not smarter, but he never had the chance to see his potential through. When our parents passed away, he dropped out of school, got his GED, and began to work at various jobs before settling as a firefighter.

"Maybe it's time you start considering what you want to do. I'm not sure how your scholarship will appreciate you sleeping through these classes with zero motive," I replied. I got up to make yet another mug of coffee.

"Hollyn, can we not talk about school on summer break? Especially the day after my birthday I think I'm still a little hungover," Brayden slurred.

I decided to stop nagging him. I knew all too well when someone kept pushing you to do something you had zero interest in, it only drove you to do the opposite. Brayden's life was his and I was going to support him in anything he wanted to do in life, but all I wanted for him to do was to finish school. That was my one request for him. After he found out he got the scholarship at Georgetown, I forced him to accept it. He protested and said that he needed to stay here, with me. This was merely months after Tristan passed away, and Aiden had already moved out. I told Brayden I would never talk to him again if he refused to accept the scholarship. We got into a big fight and didn't talk for two weeks, the longest we ever did. Finally, he told me he would accept it, as long as he got to come home anytime he pleased. I didn't refuse, I knew I was going to miss him too much but I also knew he needed this. He needed to get away from this house, from his past, from everything. Focusing on his future could promise just that.

I heard another pair of footsteps come down the stairs. Kaiden came down, his eyes all puffy. One glance at me and his expression changed, no longer looking tired. Kaiden made a move towards me and I shook my head and nodded at Brayden. He might've slipped up to Mila, but he was not about to slip up in front of my brother. Kaiden rolled his eyes and continued to make his way to me. I gave him a death glare, and he stopped. Thankfully, Brayden was too busy rubbing his eyes to see this back and forth exchange between us.

"Good morning," Kaiden said, clearing his throat. I pretended to look up at the same moment Brayden did.

"Happy belated birthday," he continued, looking at Brayden. "I meant to tell you last night but you were a little occupied all night long."

"Thanks, man," Brayden said, sitting up. "I appreciate it. My friends all go to different schools and wouldn't let me out of their sight last night. But thanks for coming."

I opened the fridge to grab some coffee creamer, adding just enough to my mug.

"It was a hell of a party," Kaiden continued.