chapter fifteen

Molly's Bakery was extra busy this morning. I wouldn't have minded the business on any other day, as I have a love for baking pastries. However, last night I was tossing and turning knowing that Kaiden was just a couple of doors down. Just as my eyes felt heavier than they have in my entire life, I finally fell asleep only to wake up 10 minutes later by my alarm. My lack of sleep was evident. I was messing up recipes left to right. I was spilling and dropping the only things I had managed to make correctly.

"Oh, honey, what's going on with you today?" Mrs. Molly asked me, wiping her hands on her apron. "From your raccoon eyes and your messy work today I'd say too much!"

Any other day I would've sassed talked Mrs. Molly right back, but I just sighed as I threw away yet another messed up batch of dough.

"I didn't get any sleep last night. And I almost got arrested, by the United States Military," I threw in nonchalantly.

"Good heavens! What did you do?" She gasped, coming around the counter. She might've been 76 years old, but her eyes still sparkled like she was 16 when gossip was involved.

"Nothing fancy, just trespassing," I replied, shrugging. The old me would've laughed in my face. If I was going to get caught, it better be something much more worthwhile than that.

"Oh honey, now that was just plain stupid."

I laughed underneath my breath. "I know. Luckily I knew someone to get me out of that mess."

Someone who put me in the mess, to begin with, I wanted to complain.

"Damn it!" I cursed, slamming my hands on the wooden workbench. I added the wrong amount of flour for the almond croissants, mixing it up with the apple fritter recipe.

"Okay, you're doing more bad than good being here. Why don't you go on home early, it should get slow soon."

Mrs. Molly swatted me away from the counter. "Go on now. Make sure you bring something home to feed that little brother of yours."

I sighed in exhaustion but also appreciation. "Thank you, Mrs. Molly, I'll make it up to you."

She winked at me as she took over my station. "I know you will."

I packed some pastries for Brayden and myself and decided to add some extra in case Kaiden was still around. My stomach did butterflies at the thought. I wondered what he looked like in the morning; was his hair all messed up and tousled? Did he like to linger in bed and wish that the day wouldn't begin? Or did he get up the moment his alarm rang, knowing he had to face the day right on? I didn't like how I was thinking about these type of things. I didn't like how I was allowing myself to. Nope, this had to stop. I didn't know what these feelings meant and frankly, I didn't know how to stop them. I just knew I was going to try my hardest to make them stop.

After being dropped home by my uber, I was in a good mood. I was happy that I had more time to sleep in before my shift at the bar tonight. I was also happy that I knew how to get over my feelings for Kaiden; I was just going to stop seeing him. It wasn't going to be hard to do. I didn't see him for all 21 years of my life I believe that I can manage to not see him. I noticed that Kaiden's truck was still in the driveway, meaning he was still asleep probably. I took a deep breath. I could do this. The silly little crush I developed would vanish in no time. I shifted the box of pastries in my arms so that I could retrieve the house keys from my bag. I unlocked the door and knew instantly my good mood wasn't going to last.