chapter five

"Brayden, have you seen my hairbrush?" I yelled from the bathroom. There was a long pause and the only noise I could hear was the small hum of the AC.

"Brayden!" I yelled again, my wet hair dampening the back of my tank.

I groaned and walked out of the bathroom on the second floor. My short frame led me down my small hallway. I peered into Brayden's messy room and saw it was vacant. I huffed. He's only been here three days and it looks like a chicken hen! My short temper was beginning to peek through as I stomped down the steps.

"I swear if you took my stuff again without telling me I am going to-"

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!"

I jumped at the sudden noise, my heart rate quickening. In front of me stood my little brother and best friend. They had huge grins on their face as they blew a little party kazoo. The living room was decorated with party streamers and balloons. I saw a Molly's Bakery box and inside I would faintly see my favorite type of cupcakes; chocolate with chocolate frosting.

"You know, this is usually the part where you say something," Mila spoke, her smile still present, but I could see her roll her eyes.

I took notice of how close both of them were standing. I raised an eyebrow. Their shoulders were practically touching. What were they doing before I came down?

"How'd you get into my house?" I asked, slowly walking forwards. Mila noticed what I was looking at and shifted a little to the right.

"Brayden let me in. He told me about his little surprise for you and I decided to join in, hence the Molly cupcakes."

She had an innocent smile on her face as Brayden glanced at. I felt like barfing but quickly composed myself once I looked back at the cupcakes again. My mouth began watering and I ached to rip the box open and indulge into the oh so sweet desserts. I gladly took one of them in the box and stuffed my face into. I moaned from the delight. Everybody in town knew Molly's cupcakes were the best.

"Thank you so much," I spoke, my voice muffled due to how much I stuffed my face. "I love you, both."

After stuffing my face once more, I rested the cupcake on the small coffee table and wrapped my arms around Mila first and then Brayden. We spent the next hour and a half making waffles and watching last night's episode of Chicago Fire. We were from Chicago so of course, we had to watch a show dedicated to our state.

"I need myself a Severide," Mila sighed dreamily.

I laughed at the way she looked; her mouth was turned upside down into a frown and her body was slumped next to a pillow as she used it cuddle with, probably fantasizing that it was Severide.

"What happened to the musician? Did you just love the way he sang about your body?" I teased, emphasizing the fact that he wrote a song about her.

Mila frowned and tossed the pillow she was using on top of me. I squealed and pushed Brayden in front of me. Poor guy was oblivious as to what was happening and got smacked right in the face.

"Agh, what was that for?" Brayden hissed, throwing the pillow on the floor.

Mila and I both looked at each other and erupted into fits of laughter. The look on Brayden's face was priceless! He really had no clue what had just happened, except for the fact that Mila smacked him on his face.

"I meant to hit Hollyn, but she pushed you forwards," Mila giggled, pushing herself upright.

Brayden grimaced at me. "You've always been sneaky Hol."

I scooted closer to him before I began pinching his cheeks like I used to do when I was really young. Brayden yelped as I pulled his skin and before I knew it my hands were being slapped off.