chapter eighteen

"What are you doing here?" I asked, finally finding my voice. Kaiden held up a small box in his hands, smiling nervously.

"Here to celebrate Brayden's birthday of course."

"I invited him," I heard Mila say, reading my mind. I looked to my left and there she was, smiling at him. "Come on in! Are Jay and Trevor here?"

"Yeah, they're right behind me actually," Kaiden replied.

"You invited them too?" I asked, looking at Mila in shock. How many people did she invite?

Mila shrugged. "I asked them if they were coming to the party yesterday and they were confused on what I was talking about. I know you have been busy busy busy planning the party in just two short days and you probably forgot to mention it to them. You got pretty close to those guys and figured you would've loved for them to come so... surprise?"

I forced a fake smile. "How thoughtful of you, Mila."

I redirected my attention back at Kaiden who was still staring at me. "There are beers in the cooler outside on the deck. Help yourself, I won't be your bartender tonight. Now if you will excuse me."

"Hollyn, wait!" I heard Kaiden say. I maneuvered my way out of his view, eager to get away from his presence. As I did so, however, I ran into Jay.

"Hollyn! It's so great to see you!" Jay examined, engulfing me into a warm hug. "How are you?"

"I could be better," I said, my voice muffled as my mouth was squished against his chest.

"What do you mean you could be better?" Jay questioned, pulling me back so he could get a good view of me. I caught eyes with Kaiden and looked away, not wanting it to be an invitation to approach me. Jay followed my eyes and clicked his tongue in understanding.

"Ahh, I see now. Don't worry, I know what can help you."

Jay handed me a fresh beer. I smiled, liking his thinking. I clank my drink with his a took a long sip. I spent most of the night with Jay, trying to forget my worries and a certain someone. And it worked. Jay made me laugh, made me remember what life was like before the weight of the entire world rested on my shoulders. As I admired Brayden from afar I could see he was loosening up and feeling the same way. He was finally living life as he should: carefree. Mila was good for him and I could finally see that now. I wasn't going to step in between them any longer. It was pointless; they were actually meant for each other.

"Excuse me real quick, Jay," I said to Jay. I got up from my seat on the couch next to him. "I need to check something real quick."

"Alright my lady, I'll be here," Jay slightly slurred, obviously drunk. I rolled my eyes at his lightweight behavior.

I made my way across the living room and to the stairs. I wasn't around my phone all night long. I left it upstairs after Brayden came home to keep it on the charger. I was waiting to hear back from my lawyers in regards to Tristan's death. He still hasn't received justice. I was doing everything in my power to make sure that he did. It angered me that it was taking so long.

I was upset to see no new messages from my lawyer. I sighed and placed my phone back on my nightstand, wondering if I should give him a call. He promised he would reach out to me if there was any news or change. Before I knew what I was doing, I grabbed my phone back up and pressed the phone icon to call him. I didn't care that it was almost 12 AM. All I could think about is how the person who killed Tristan might get away with this.