chapter thirteen

"I can't believe someone almost ran over you," Brayden said, throwing a box of Frosted Flakes into our shopping cart.

"I mean I had many fantasies about doing that myself, but I always came up short."

I gasped at his words and threw the sample of bread I had in my hand at his head, earning a chuckled laugh. We were in Costco's restocking our pantry since it was pretty low ever since Brayden returned home. He was always rummaging in the pantry or the fridge. I swear that boy couldn't stop eating if his life depended on it.

"Yeah, make jokes on behalf of the fact your sister almost died," I retorted, rolling my eyes. Brayden just smiled and proceeded to look through the snack aisle.

"It's not my fault my sister is absentminded now is it?"

I swallowed the lump in my throat. I didn't tell Brayden that I thought it wasn't an accident. I didn't want him to worry more than he already did. He's had enough worrying to last time a lifetime. Losing your parents is brutal and unfathomable to get over, but losing a sibling is just as bad.

"How were you and Mila?" I asked, changing the subject before I got overwhelmed.

His eyebrows scrunched together in one. He continued walking down the aisle, not giving me a response. Brayden's mood shifted and I was curious to know why.

"Oh come on. I went back to the diner and I didn't see either of you. So spill," I prodded, bumping my hip into his. "What happened?"

"Nothing happened," he lied. And that was it. Nothing more nothing less.

I snorted and grabbed the plastic bag so I could get two bags of chips. Brayden grabbed a bag of Tostitos while I grabbed the Cheetos.

"You really expect me to believe nothing happened? Between you and Mila, I wouldn't be surprised if you all already sealed the deal," I replied honestly.

Knowing my brothers and best friends ways, it was true. But Brayden's silenced showed me that he didn't want to talk about it. I didn't care though. I was the annoying older sister who couldn't mind her own business.

"You know you can tell me," I continued. "I mean, you guys are most likely going to do it back home too..."

"Nothing happened Hollyn!" Brayden suddenly exclaimed, catching me off guard. "That's the thing. Nothing fucking happened."

Brayden threw his bag of chips in the basket and stormed off. I stood there, stunned, before abandoning the basket and running after him.

"Bray... Talk to me, what happened?" I asked when I finally caught up to him.

Brayden sighed and stopped walking. The look in his eyes showed that he was hurt. I wanted to punch whoever caused that type of pain to him, even if it was my best friend.

"I took her home after we ate. We talked, laughed, did all the stuff I don't normally do with any other chick. God Hollyn, she's perfect."

I nodded, wondering what the hell changed.

"But when I walked her home, something changed. I wasn't expecting her to invite me in, I swear it Hollyn. I told her good night and..."

"And?" I repeated, raising an eyebrow.

Brayden groaned and covered his face. "And when I reached in to kiss her, she said good night little Mitchell and completely ignored my attempt to kiss her."

I laughed out loud, tilting my head back from how much I was laughing. Mila definitely bruised his ego. Brayden shot me a deadly glare and walked away. I tried to stop laughing but I failed and released a nasty spit take. Brayden walked back to the cart and proceeded to grab the groceries. After recomposing myself I joined him at the bakery. He wasn't looking at me, avoiding my eyes at all costs. I sighed.