chapter ten

Tristan's tattoo that Hollyn talks about, including Tristan. Also, check out the trailer!

"I can't believe you made me come out here," I mumbled, gritting my teeth as I sunk lower in my seat. "I don't third wheel and certainly don't want to witness my best friend and little brother make goo-goo eyes at each other."

Brayden threw his straw wrapper at me and I cocked an eyebrow as a result. We were stuck at our local dinner waiting for Mila. After prying it out of me, Brayden found out Mila's favorite place to eat and asked her to join him here.

He's starting off the date in all the wrong ways if you ask me. First, he brings his older sister along. And second, he doesn't even pick her up? His game is seriously lacking.

"We won't be making goo-goo eyes. We'll be talking about our likes and dislikes. We'll discuss what we expect and-"

I gagged before getting up from the booth. Brayden stopped ranting and broke out of his loves struck gaze. I fix one of Tristan's old caps on my head and cleared my throat.

"I can't. I won't. This is all too weird," I confessed, slightly tugging the ends of my bob. "Just text me when you're done. They have little shops just around the block and I'll be there if you need me."

I turned my heel and was about to leave the dinner until I felt a hand tug me back. I looked up and saw Brayden with a hardened expression.

"Wait, I need you. I don't know what to talk about with her," he admitted. "Please. I need you."

So this was why he wanted me to come. He was nervous about his little date with Mila and he wanted my comfort in case things went wrong. At that moment, I saw my little brother holding his little teddy bear as he came into my bedroom. At that moment, I saw how scared he was of the boogie man. I didn't leave him then and I wasn't going to now.

So, I stuck around. I stuck around and awkwardly greeted Mila. We haven't spoken since the night of my birthday. But soon, all the anxiety and tension was washed away. We ordered sides of fries first and talked about what happened in the past few days of our lives.

I let Brayden tell her what happened just this morning. She knew how much we hated Aiden though she didn't know the full story. All she knew was after Tristan died, Aiden bolted. He left his two younger siblings and a large house their parents left in their deed and made them figure out how the real world works. I had to find a way to keep money flowing in so we didn't lose the house. The money our parents left I used for Brayden's college, and even that wasn't enough. But I wasn't going to give up on paying for the house. It had too many memories of both my parents and Tristan and I wasn't about to let that out of my grasp.

I kicked Brayden under the booth just as he was about to bring up the night of Tristan's death. My heart sank a little as I thought of him spilling my secret out. Granted, he probably thought I told her considering that she's my best friend, but I couldn't think about sharing what happened that night with anyone.

"So Mila," I said, playing around with my straw. "Do you really like Brayden or is he your next boy toy?"

"Hollyn!" Brayden fumed, his voice tight and rigid. "What the hell is your problem?"

I drizzled my fries in more ketchup and shrugged. Mila looked a bit uncomfortable with my question, but in all things considered she knew how I was. She knew I was going to ask her this question sooner or later, I guess she thought I wouldn't have asked it while he was in front of her.

"I don't know," she honestly answered after a moment.

I snapped my head up, unable to see her due to my hat. She was fidgeting with her hands until she looked back up at Brayden. Brayden looked a bit disoriented as well, but he quickly recomposed himself. I knew that face all too well. Tristan used to do the same thing when he was mad at me. But when he saw Brayden, he quickly shifted moods so that he wouldn't worry.