chapter twenty one

I need your guy's help choosing which cover to use! Please comment your favorite or should I keep the one we have now?

"No."

"Yes."

"No."

"Yes."

Kaiden narrowed his eyes at me which I returned with an innocent smile. I could see him fighting the angry list of complaints he wanted to throw at me.

"It won't be so bad. All you have to do is eat, talk, and repeat. Easy peasy," I said, scooping guacamole with my tortilla chip.

"Says the master of all three," he remarked.

I playfully nudged my shoulder against his and I saw his lips curl into a slight smile. We were sitting in the bed of his truck. I brought him lunch from a taco place a block away from Molly's Bakery. Only two days have passed since our date, and Brayden still nags me every night about setting up the double date with Kaiden. I decided to surprise Kaiden with lunch in hopes to ease him into joining us. Unfortunately, I didn't believe it was working.

"Come on, I'll owe you one. Anything you want from me, you got it. No questions asked."

Kaiden's eyes twinkled as I spoke the last sentence. I had a feeling I spoke too soon and was anxious to find out what he had in mind. He finished the last bite of his taco and jumped down, wiping away the remaining bits of crumbs on his uniform pants.

"A time will come when I want to collect. I hope you're ready when I do," he said. I gulped.

"Go easy on me," I said, sulking my shoulders a little bit. Kaiden grabbed my hips and pulled me forward. I yelped, not expecting the sudden change in position.

"Never," his husky voice replied. I felt myself being drawn to him, like an electric pull. It took everything in my control not to gaze at his lips. It didn't help that a coy smile was plastered on them.

"Umm... I should go," I murmured, my voice scarcely above a whisper.

"Hmm? What was that?" He questioned, raising his eyebrows ever-so-slightly. He pulled me closer, so now my thighs were in between him, and I was pulled directly in front of him. The fabric of his camouflage uniform tingled against my bare legs as my shorts didn't protect me from his touch.

"Work," I managed to get out. "I have to work."

"I thought you done for the day."

He began running his hands underneath my thin cotton t-shirt. It was a blazing summer afternoon and the temperature was definitely increasing a couple of degrees, yet a shiver still managed to come down my spine. I looked to the side, mostly to conceal my face and the current expression I must have. As I did, I noticed some men beginning to return to their posts after their lunch break.

"Kaiden, people are coming out now," I said, pulling his hands off of me. Kaiden snorted.

"So? Half of them report to me."

"And you report to someone else. I don't believe playing hooky with me is the smartest idea," I retorted, looking up at him. "You should get back to work."

"Eager to get rid of me?"

"Actually, yes," I replied, giving him another shove, harder this time. It was either my unexpected strength or my comment that caught him off guard because I was finally able to get away from him. I jumped down from the bed of his truck and retrieved my purse along with me.