chapter twenty

A week flew by quickly. I was extremely busy, as was everyone around me. Mrs. Molly allowed me to have complete creative control in the kitchen. She wanted to see what I could "come up with" and how the customers would react to my pastries. I was surprised, as was Mrs. Molly when it went extremely well. It went so great, Mrs. Molly promoted me and added two of my pastries to her menu. This was great for me, as it allowed more cash to flow in. The hours were different; I was working more. I didn't change my schedule with the bar, but it was evident that I was going to have to. I didn't have any days off, and I only got three to four hours of sleep a night. The lack of sleep was unquestionably catching up to me.

"Hollyn, the patrons at table three just asked me if they can get a different server," Mila announced, appearing behind the bar. She placed the dirty mugs close by the back door.

"What?" I replied, looking in the direction of table three. "I've been a great host to them. Even when they asked for salt a gazillion times."

"Really? Because they said they never got any salt, even after they repeatedly asked you for some."

"That's a lie! I brought them—oh."

"Oh, what?" Mila questioned, adding drinks to someone's tab.

"Shit, I brought it to the wrong table. I was wondering why they were looking at me so strange," I sighed, shaking my head. "Don't worry, I'll fix it."

"No," Mila said, grabbing a hold of my forearm. "I got this. I'll cover your tables, just head on home. You're beyond beat."

"I'm fine," I said. "Besides, Kaiden is coming home tonight. We are supposed to go out."

"Oh honey, you are in no place in going out on a date tonight. Especially your first date. Go home and rest."

I moped. "But he just called me this morning. Mila, he seemed so excited. It actually made me feel excited."

"Excited about that?" Brayden asked, sliding into a bar stool across from us.

"Nothing," Mila and I said at the same time. Brayden raised an eyebrow and looked at us both.

"What are you guys hiding?"

"Nothing that concerns you," Mila said, coming from behind the bar to give him a kiss. "Now take your sister home. She needs to rest."

"You're not my boss, Mila, you can't send me home," I said, rolling my eyes.

"Yeah, and who else told me to send you home?" Mila asked, looking in the direction of our manager. He looked in our direction at the same time and nodded.

"Mila..." I began to say, shaking my head.

"Everything has already been taken care of," Mila said, nodding. "Now go home and rest. You'll have a chance to make it to you know what."

I debating whether or not to listen to Mila, before deciding she was right. I was like a zombie walking around. I removed my apron and gave to Mila, who had her hand out ready to accept it.

"Attagirl," she said.

"Bray, can you take me home? I need to get ready."

"For what? Where are you going?" Brayden asked, looking between the two of us.

He was looking at Mila for some sort of answer, but she gave him none. Instead, she resumed tending the bar while also picking up my slack.

"Out," I simply replied. I started to walk out the door and Brayden followed right behind me.

"Out where? Why are you being so secretive?" He questioned. He sat in the driver seat and I got into the passenger.

"If I tell you then you can't ask any other questions," I said, looking at him in his eyes.