IX

Change

Two years had passed, I was now ten years old. Despite my efforts in keeping all the changes of my person under wraps, people still began to notice it. Due to my dislike of wearing extravagant clothing and accessories, I always chose to use the simpler ones. Father and the ladies-in-waiting noticed this and wondered why my taste had changed.

Another change they had noticed was how there was always a book in my hands wherever I walked. Though I was not too keen with my books in my previous life, the history and medicinal knowledge in this place were too interesting to pass up. Father noticed this and bought me more books from the four other tribes to read which I was thankful for.

Within the span of those two years, I even learned how to play the koto and dance. Unfortunately, I had no talent for the former despite my resolve to practice it everyday. Dancing, however, I had some skill for it no matter how mediocre it seemed.

I became close friends with Ogi and his group while maintaining my separate identity as the princess of the Kouka Kingdom. I had introduced myself as Ying to them which meant "clever." It wasn't that hard to act as someone else when I was with them (technically, my real self). They would be able to connect my alter ego to my real identity if I didn't do so otherwise.

As for the information I had sought for, Ogi did indeed give it to me the very next day and I was shocked by what I had read back then. Under Emperor Il's current reign, the kingdom no longer flourished and we had lost many parts of our territories due to his war-hating nature. Many villagers were suffering due to the raise of taxes and lack of resources and supplies. I wanted to help them but as how I remained now, it was impossible.

However, as Ying, I could help them. Through Ogi's network, I was able to send supplies to those faraway villages. Supplies I had bought using the money I asked my father to give me. It remained a secret, of course. There were plenty of wrong scenarios that would occur if I did not do so.

While I had Ogi send them, I asked that my identity would remain anonymous. Unbeknownst to me, my name had been carelessly released from their loose lips due to getting drunk from the wine they had brought with them as they celebrated with the villagers.

The name "Ying" was soon spread far and wide.

Anyway, there was news of Hak and Soo-Won's return after so long. I was excited to meet them once more but these feelings for Soo-Won that I had buried for so long were beginning to surface. They were certainly not mine since they belonged to the previous Yona. However, they were so strong to actually influence my reactions to him. Just simply by thinking about him made me blush.

Why me?! I wanted to cry out in frustration.