XXXVIII

Hak's Interlude - Waking Up

Hak found himself waking up alone as he leaned against the trunk of the tree.

Wait - 

His brain halted as it processed the information.

Alone...

Without the princess in sight...

...

Where did she go?!

He immediately got up and was about to go on a mad hunt for the princess in the forest until he heard some bushes rustling. Preparing himself with the weapon in hand, he waited cautiously for whatever was in the bushes to appear.

A figure soon appeared and it took him another moment to process what was in front of him.

It was the princess...with a bunch of fruits in her arms and with her hair pinned up in a simple hairstyle with a very familiar-looking hairpin.

He almost laughed out loud with her appearance at the very moment. He had just been reminiscing about the time before he became her bodyguard the night before.

He eventually started snickering. It was like that time she brought him fruits as a bribe again.

"Are you done snickering about whatever you were thinking about now, Hak?" A voice interrupted his thoughts. 

He looked down to find the princess looking up at him with a pout forming on her lips. She looked rather adorable in her own way.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm done now, Princess." He told her.

"Anyway, I managed to find some fruits for our breakfast before we headed out later." She grinned and patted her chest with pride. "I did pretty good, didn't I, Hak?"

He looked at the fruits she managed to find and was slightly surprised that what she found were actual edible fruits. He smirked as he grabbed one and took a bite.

"Yeah, you did good, Princess."

He had underestimated her.