XLII

Hak's Interlude - Death (1)

Hak watched over the princess as she soon fell into a deep sleep. Her face was calm and peaceful and he would have ended up staring at her for god-knows-how-long if not for the sudden arrival of the elder. 

Elder Mundok gave him a piercing stare before glancing over to the princess - no, Ying. 

She was asleep with her brown colored wig spread out behind her like a halo. It may have hidden her most prominent feature which was her fiery red hair however, her face was still recognizable to the selected few.

Elder Mundok being one of them.

"Hak, why have you and the princess left the palace together without any entourage? And why is the princess in disguise?" The elder asked him.

He remained silent and that was all it took before elder realized that something was indeed amiss. He spoke up before his gramps could say anything else.

"The princess has a request and frankly, it's also a request of mine."

"What is it?"

"We need you to approve of Soo-Won becoming the new emperor once an emergency Five Tribe Meeting is announced. Three days from now, we will be leaving the Wind Tribe. I'm also planning to return the Son name back to you so that whatever we do from then on, it will have nothing to do with the Wind Tribe."

"Soo-Won becoming the new emperor?! What happened to the princess' father? What happened to Emperor Il?!" Elder Mundok questioned in a shocked tone.

"The emperor..." Hak closed his eyes in respite. "...is dead."