XV

Trace

"Excuse me, I heard that Emperor Il and Princess Yona were here?" A familiar voice suddenly spoke up as Father, Hak and I were engaged in a conversation inside my room. I looked to the entrance to find Soo-Won standing there with his usual carefree smile on his face. My heart began to beat slightly but then it immediately stilled. Any traces of the previous Yona's feelings had finally dulled over these past few years. I only liked him as a friend now.

"Ah, Soo-Won! Welcome!" The emperor greeted him amiably though deep down I could sense that there was some animosity towards him. I did not know the reason behind it and had decided not to delve into it any deeper.

"Welcome back, Soo-Won." I greeted him politely.

He smiled even brighter and went to pat my head. "Yona, I can't believe it's going to be your birthday soon! You've gotten so big!" He exclaimed joyfully. Hak snickered under his breath but I could clearly hear it. As to why he did that, I wondered if he had some misunderstanding towards my feelings towards Soo-Won. 

If he did - thump thump - I wonder...why do I feel this way? I feel weird...

"It's nice to see you again, Soo-Won." I said with a smile. 

His attention went towards Hak once his own bright sea green eyes met sharp pale blue orbs. Their greeting was very casual despite Hak's insistence on using our titles. I sighed internally and started walking towards the entrance.

"Yona, where are you going?" Father suddenly asked.

I turned my head. "Don't worry too much, Father. I'm simply heading to the gardens. I'm sure you and Hak have some catching up to do with Soo-Won and I do not wish to disturb you. Seek me out when you've finished." I said and continued on my path.