XXXIII

Hak's Interlude - Watching Her (1)

I've watched her for a long time. Hak thought as he gazed upon the sleeping form of the princess leaning on him. But this is the first time I've seen her so indifferent, considering the fact that she saw her father's dead body and learned that it was that bastard who killed him in the first place.

He sighed, looking up to the stars as he moved to a more comfortable position. Had that bitter encounter change her so quickly? He shook his head internally, it was too fast. Perhaps she was still in shock.

But she even prepared her own packing bag as if she was expecting something like this to happen! His mind argued. She even knew the castle's secret underground passageways!

How well did he actually know her?

He sighed again, this time reminiscing the past when he became her bodyguard.

~

Three Years Ago

Hak was sitting on top of the large, wooden, red railings when his self-proclaimed 'Grandpa' appeared. Son Mundok started scolding him for not attending the meeting but he didn't want to and they ended up arguing with each other.

It was at that moment, Emperor Il appeared and the two ceased fighting.

The emperor soon approached him with a smile. "It's been a while, Hak. It's been lonely since you stopped coming to play."

"Well, a commoner like me can't just walk into the castle so freely..." He trailed off, a bit uncomfortable by the emperor's sudden appearance.

"Don't worry about that. Yona's been lonely without you too."

"You happy-go-lucky liar." He muttered back, momentarilyforgetting who was in front of him.

"Happy-go-lucky?" The emperor repeated, a bit taken aback by his response.

"What's that supposed to mean?!" Son Mundok yelled as he began hitting Hak with a paper fan in anger.

The emperor tried placating the older man, who was soon on his knees and apologizing profusely yet again.

"Hak's honesty is what I like about him. Here, have a steamed bun." He said before handing the young teen the said steamed bun. "So, Hak, would you stay at the castle permanently, as Yona's bodyguard?"

"Your Majesty," he said, calmly accepting the small treat. "I find nobility a terrible bother." And then he began explaining his reason before he walked away, leaving the emperor to think about his words.

Frankly, I don't want anything to do with nobility or the royal family. The way they probe each other's intentions and drag each other down is ridiculous. The emperor has no sense for danger, either. He thought absent-mindedly as he continued walking. And the other reason why I don't want to come to this castle permanently is...

"Hak!" A familiar feminine voice brought him out of his thoughts. He looked up to find the princess looking at him up from the ledge. She smiled a bright smile before jumping down and landing right in front of him. In just a few seconds, she was already near him, invading his personal space.

When I'm around the princess, I lose my mind.