XIX

Patrol

The next evening (after being thoroughly scolded by father the previous day), I decided to take a late night walk as always. Hak, as usual, was beside me as I began my patrol around the castle. It was something I liked to do often because the evening sky always held a different feel to it.

"Say, princess..." Hak began as he tapped his weapon repeatedly on his shoulder.

"What is it, Hak?" I asked.

"Why do you keep on taking night patrols? It's not your job, it's not even something you should be doing in the first place."

I abruptly stopped much to his surprise. I tugged on his sleeve and made him face me. I stared straight into his eyes, trying to show how much patrolling meant to me. "Hak, the reason I even started doing this was because I wanted to be sure that everything is alright."

"Does that mean you don't trust the guards? Or me?" He pointed out questioningly.

I sighed and shook my head. "It's not that  I don't trust you or the guards. I just like doing this, it gives me an even greater sense of comfort that no one gets hurt or attacked during these night patrols. I may be just a princess but nothing means more to me than the protection of my people." I explained.

He stared at me and then smiled.

"Alright, I won't question you further." He said.

I smiled back and gave him a hug. 

"Thank you, Hak." I whispered soft enough for him to still hear it.