XXV

Running Towards

The sound of Hak's Hsu Quandao being swung reached my ears. I was surprised to find him in front me. He started speaking and I wondered if he was trying to be purposely sarcastic or not. "Hak? Why are you here?" I asked as I stared at him.

He continued to look at me as he bent down. "I'm sorry for leaving your side, Princess Yona." He said.

I neared him to which he slightly backed away. "Hak..." I began. "I can trust you, right?"

Actually, I knew I could already do so but I wanted to hear his answer from his own lips for some reason. He looked surprised and then smiled. "The king told me to protect you. No matter what happens." He stood up. "I will obey his orders!"

The same man who had approached Soo-Won earlier on and was about to have me killed ordered Hak to withdraw but it proved the opposite effect. Hak began to ask some questions to which Soo-Won answered truthfully but it only made him angrier.  I could feel Hak's fury radiating off him in waves. He lunged with his spear-like weapon.

Soo-Won managed to block each attack skillfully. His advisor (?) was about to interrupt but he was asked to back down. It was then Soo-Won revealed Hak's full identity as the heart of the castle and one of the five generals...and also as the Thunder Beast of Kouka.

They kept on attacking each other. Their movements were mesmerizing to look at but I managed to look away, just in time for me to notice the man behind me. He had been aiming to grab me but I did a low sweep to get him off balance. I took advantage of that to strike at his vulnerable points.

And then I ran towards Hak.