Chapter 22

[Phoenix's POV]

He has no right to be here. That jerk! All he's done is treat me like trash. He barely ever talks to me. Why would he talk to me now? 

[James's POV]

"I'm sorry." (Lowers his head.)

Phoenix: "Why? Why have you always neglected me; you barely talk to me. I've always been scum to you. The black sheep of the family."

"You are not scum. I've always been jealous of you." (Looks into his eyes.)

Phoenix: "Why?" (Anger in his tone but sadness in his eyes.)

"I've always envied you because you were brave enough to tell everyone that you're gay while I've never told anyone but your mother that I'm bisexual. I've always thought that I would loose everyone's respect and trust if I were to tell them who I really am." (Tears fall from his eyes.)

Phoenix: "I would have respected you; Ryan too."

"I know. I've been such an idiot in not trusting you with my secret. I can't believe I betrayed Hannah's trust. How will she forgive me?" (More tears.)

Phoenix: "She'll get over it. She thinks she's inlove with with Kaj but she'll be over him soon."

"Do you really think so?" (Throat is hoarse.)

Phoenix: "Eventually, I'll forgive you too." 

My poor son. How could I  have betrayed him this way?

"I'm really sorry. I never meant to hurt you or Hannah. I've slept with Kaj but it's nothing serious. I love your mother very much. I haven't hid my fling with Kaj from her. I tell her everything and she understands. I am physically attracted to men but I'll never leave your mother. I've loved her since the first moment that I met her. I've been honest from the start and I always will be." (Phoenix hugs his dad tightly.)

I had to hug him back. I haven't hugged Phoenix since the day he came out to everyone. He's been hurting because of my indifference and yet he hugs me. I am an awful person. (Now James is sobbing.)

"I'm so sorry. I'm never going to hide anything from you or your brother again. I'll try to never hurt you again. I love you Phoenix. I love you so much."

Phoenix: "It's okay dad. I love you too." (Phoenix rubs James' back.)