Chapter 8

~Ina~

I ran faster than before scared that the Mutati would follow me. Without looking I ran across a street.

Two lights came at me, but stopped just in time.

It's dusk and the sun was setting.

My hands were on the hood of the car. I was breathing heavy and I couldn't take more steps, but I was afraid that that thing was still after me. Not bothering to look at the person who was in the car I ran away.

I hear a car door slam shut and someone yelling my name, but I didn't stop. I just kept on running.

My house came in my view and I began to feel more save, but you never know.

It felt like my legs would gave in any minute now. I ran up the steps to my door before opening it. My back hits the door and I slide down against it. That was so scary.

That creature, the Mutati was so close. They control him to get me.

"Ina?" I look up and saw Tom standing in front of me with a raised eyebrow.

"What are you doing on the ground and what happen to your knee?"

I looked down and saw that there was a hole in my jeans and blood was running out of it. That car probably hit my knee without me noticing it. Tom held his hand out for me to grabbed it and I gladly took it.

He pulled me from the ground and looked closely at me.

"I-I was and then he and I." I said in a rush looking at the door before looking back at him.

I had no idea how to explained this.

"Ina calm down. Tell me slowly what had happen." He told me slowly.

I nodded my head and took a deep breath.

"I was walking back home when I bumped into a person. That person was Ian." Tom gripped on my hand tightened when I said Ian's name.

"He dragged my into an alleyway and told me that most of the Blachhunters left town after we burn down the asylum. He, his dad and some other Blackhunters stayed behind to follow us." I explain trying to swallow the lump in my throat away.

"Did he hurt you?" Tom asked with a concern voice.

I shook my head no.

"Ian didn't want to hurt me, but 'it' wanted to." I said with air quotes on it.

"What do you mean with 'it'?" I took a deep breath.

"The Mutati." I whisper loud enough so that he could hear me.

Tom was a bit throw back.

"What?" He asked in disbelief.

"The Mutati is after me. It's been for a while now, but I just learned his name. Ian told me what he does and what he was before the Blackhunters turned him." I whisper again now a little bit louder.

"He also told me that you knew what it was."

Tom was still speech less.

I don't know if he was scared or concern.

"Ina why didn't you tell me that he was after you. Ugh I should've know that something was after you. I should've know they would send him." He whisper that last part to himself.

"Why didn't you tell me that that thing exists?" I asked hoping he would tell the truth.

"Ina I couldn't just tell you that a monster is out there who kills our kind."

I press my lips together looking at him.

"Beside a Mutati can't come after you until he marks you with his claws." At the end his voice was just a whisper when he realised what he said.

My eyes widen when I realised what he had said. Quickly I lift my white sweater up and looked at the claw mark on my stomach.

"You see those long nails. They used them to mark their next victim. You don't even have to be close to them for them to mark you."

No, no, no!

"Tom, he." I stutter looking back up at him.

He shook his head quickly before putting his hand on my sweater pulling it back down.

"No he's not going to take you. Those marks can disappear in just a few days and you will be fine. You said he's been following you for a while right? And you didn't had any marks before." He said trying to calm myself and himself down.

"How do you know?" I asked hopping he would be right.

He ran a hair through his blond hair letting out a sigh.

"Because he already attack me twice over the past years and I'm still here."