eighteen - love is selfish

'You've got to come here quick, it's Ella... I've tried everything, I didn't know who else to call... yes of course I did... okay but please hurry.'

The muffled sound of a voice speaking in a hushed tone should have been enough to muster me from my wave of deep emotion, but it didn't. I tried with every ounce of my being to try and get up, just to move ever so slightly, but nothing worked. The feeling was too big, it had finally consumed me; I had tried so hard to resist, but it had won. I was floating high above the sky and there was no power on earth that could bring me back down.

It felt like hours had gone by when I was suddenly drawn in by the warm feeling of a tight embrace. Two arms wrapped themselves snugly around me and I felt the tingle sensation flowing through my body as someone leaned in close to my ear and whispered, 'Try and match your breath to mine.' 

How does he always know the right thing to say?

I wished I could have stayed right there forever, never having to deal with the pressures and struggles of daily life. That's the thing about a good hug; it can transport you places. And in that moment I felt like I was finally free from all my anxieties. It was just me, and him. My knight in shining armour.

Everything then came crashing back down to earth when he pulled away from me and I let a soft whimper escape from my lips. I tried opening my eyes but it was no use, open or closed; I saw only black.

'Please don't leave me so soon.' I whispered into the void.

'I'm not going anywhere.' The voice replied through the darkness.

I was suddenly whisked quite literally off my feet by my noble victor, who proceeded to carry me up the isolated tower, before he placed me carefully into a fluffy, snowy mess of blankets and pillows. I replaced the body heat that was once radiating from him by wrapping myself in a tight cocoon. I turned to see the shadow backing out towards the door.

'No, please. Stay. I don't want to be trapped in this tower all by myself anymore.' I called out to the figure, hoping with all I had that they would be persuaded by my hauntingly downcast voice.

'You won't be, not anymore. I promise.' The voice replied softly, moving closer towards the recently occupied bed.

'Then lay with me. Keep your promise.' I quietly uttered, feeling myself drifting off with every passing second.

'Okay, okay. But just until you sleep.'

○ ○ ○ ○

The first thing I was achingly aware of when I opened my eyes was the pounding of my head, it felt like there was a small person in there banging the surface walls, desperate to get out. What happened last night?

Where the hell am I? I rub my eyes in an attempt to familiarise myself with the surroundings, but it was as if the clearer and clearer my vision got, my situation only got more and more unfamiliar. 

I quickly jumped out of the bed to only feel an overwhelming sense of relief to see what I was wearing. I was still dressed in my full outfit from last night except my shoes were placed neatly on the ground beside the dresser.

Suddenly I heard the sound of the door opening and my heart skipped a beat at the fright of who it may have been.

The boy with the ruffled brown hair and the green eyes popped his head through the door and I breathed a sigh of relief.

'Oh! You have no idea how glad I am to see you.' I quickly blurted out, pulling Noah into the room by his arm before wrapping myself around him. He seemed slightly taken aback by my sudden affection, but embraced me whole heartedly, and it felt as though all our differences were finally settled.