twenty one - love is discontent

'Do you even know where we are going?' I enquired, glancing out the car window at the unfamiliar scenery that surrounded us.

We had been driving for a considerable and some-what alarming amount of time and although warm conversation and playful hand-holding had filled the tedious crevasses of time, curiosity was getting the better of me when it came to knowing our destination.

'Your lack of confidence in my abilities as a chauffeur has seriously wounded my ego.' Noah replied, as I admired his lively sense of humour.

'It's just we've been driving for ages!' I cried out like a spoilt child who has lost all hope in the ritual of a good ol' road trip.

'All will be revealed soon.' Noah cryptically stated.

'Why are you being so suspicious about all of this?' I asked, turning my head in his direction.

'Why do you keep on asking so many questions?' He retorted, taking his eye of the road for a millisecond to shoot daggers jokingly at me.

'You better not be taking me any place fancy, I still have pieces of eggshell in my hair!'

'I happen to love this whole geek chic look you have going on.' Noah laughed, mocking the far from pleasant words of Mum's wedding client.

'Have you ever tried modelling?' I echoed, twirling my hair in the same way she had done previously. 'I mean could she have been any more obvious?'

'What do you mean?' Noah questioned, glancing quickly at me.

'Are you kidding? She was totally flirting with you!' The words escaped too quickly from my mouth and I knew there was no way I could take them back.

'Oh I get it, you were jealous.' He stated knowingly.

'I was not!' I cried in denial.

'It's okay to admit it, I get jealous too sometimes.'

'You do?' I ask, unable to stop myself from enquiring further about his confession.

'Sure I do. It's a natural reaction to have. I actually like you quite a lot so it happens pretty often.' He confessed, raising his shoulders in dismissal as if it was completely beyond his control.

'I like you quite a lot too.' I answer, reaching out to graze his hand.

He softly took my hand in his and squeezed it gently.

'If I wasn't driving, I would be kissing you good right now.' He spoke with a playful tone in his voice.

'Good to know.' I retorted, laughing out loud at his blunt but charming remark.

'You will be happy to find out that we are getting very close.' Noah said, taking a sharp turn to the left down a grassy lane that could be easily missed as it was sceptically guarded from view by two large oak trees.

We continued travelling down the narrow lane and I rolled the window down to let the warm air invade the vehicle. I felt the sudden urge to feel the breeze against my skin and so stuck my head out letting my hair blow wildly. I closed my eyes and I knew I could have stayed right in that moment forever, completely free.

When I opened my eyes and turned to Noah, he was staring at me intently in awe. I threw him a bright smile in gratitude for this moment, which he accepted graciously.

We had finally reached the end of the tight path and I let my jaw drop as I gazed upon the sight at which this unsuspecting lane had led us to.

Right in front of us was a vast lake, effortlessly glistening in the sunlight that peaked through the branches of the large trees that bordered it.