twenty - love is exhausting

I quickly ducked down behind the kitchen table, letting a breathless pant escape from my lips. Our food fight had been going on for several minutes, and the winner still remained unannounced. I was determined to be triumphant in battle.

I stayed crouched down on my honkers and awkwardly crab-walked back towards the unit for more ammo. I felt a large lump of butter hit the side of my head and I knew I had given away my position.

I scanned the room, desperately searching for the boy with the green eyes. As though my prayers had been answered, he popped up from behind the chair loaded with an egg in his hand, threatening to throw it with evil intent behind his gaze.

As quick as lightening a surge of energy ran through my hand, causing it to jolt out and grab his choice of ammo in retaliation.

'This is my white flag of surrender.' I cried, raising the egg above me.

Noah edged closer to me, still with egg in hand. 'Why admit defeat so soon, Parker?'

'Frankly I'd really rather not have to clean egg gunk out of my hair, O'Brien.'

'Fair enough.' He quickly stated with a smile growing on his lips.

The distance between us was now minuscule, but the tension of what was to come was so great.

Noah gently took the side of my face into the palm of his hands, pulling it closer and closer to him. I closed my eyes in anticipation; I had missed the sensation of his warm lips against mine. I was however gravely disappointed by the feeling of a wet, slimy liquid dripping down my face. He had cracked the egg over my head.

I slowly opened my eyes in shock to find him struggling to keep in his laughter with his hands held up against his mouth.

'Don't. You. Dare.' I squirmed as the raw taste entered my mouth.

'I'm sorry, El. It was too hard not to.' Noah replied, finally letting laughter escape from his lips.

'You are in so much trouble.' I shouted, raising the egg I still held in my hand above his head.

He quickly darted away from me and I continued to chase him around the kitchen, both of us laughing our heads of while simultaneously growing very dizzy. We both stopped in our tracks when we heard the front door closing and the sound of muffled voices getting closer and closer.

The kitchen was an absolute state. Every tabletop, every chair, every surface imaginable was covered in the ingredients of cake batter. And as we both exchanged a weary glance at each other, we knew there was no way we were getting out of this one.

Mum walked into the kitchen and I watched nervously as her face changed from cheery to shock, before finally resting in a position that made it seem as though she were looking at two toddlers whom she had mistakenly placed her trust in to be home alone for five minutes.

'Mrs Parker this was all me, Ella had nothing to do with it.' Noah quickly spoke up.

'It was the two of us. But I promise, we'll have this all cleared up in no time. So don't worry.' I added, not letting Noah take all the blame.

'Okay but do it quickly, before...'

'Karen, where shall we set up?' A voice interrupted from behind Mum.

Mum breathed a loud sigh of discontentment.

The unexpected guest edged out from behind the human barricade that was my Mum, with curiosity plastered across her face. She was a tall, slender woman with long legs and unnaturally long platinum blonde hair. She seemed like the kind of woman who could find out everything about you in a matter of minutes.