Thanksgiving, Hunter Style

The trip to Dad and Marissa's place was very peaceful. Dean took the scenic route and the three of us had fun singing along to classic rock songs on the radio. Since we left early in the morning, I made Dean stop at a grocery store close by the house to pick up a few things to bring with us. I knew Marissa probably made tons of food, including pies, but I've always been one to bring a little something to a dinner or party. I grabbed some brownies from the bakery, one half gallon each of chocolate and vanilla ice cream, and a bottle of red wine. When we got to Dad and Marissa's, Sam offered to take my bags for me. "That would be great," I said. "Thank you." The three of us walked up to the door and I rang the bell. "Come on in!" I heard Dad yell from inside. We opened the door and walked in to the front hallway. "Where are you?" I yelled back. "We're both in the kitchen," Marissa answered. The boys followed me through the dining area and into the kitchen. "So glad you made it," Dad said with a smile. "I hope the trip wasn't too bad." "It was actually quite enjoyable," Dean told him. "We took the scenic route." Sam put the bags up on the counter and said, "Sammi stopped to pick up some extra goodies for tonight." "You didn't have to do that," Marissa said. "I know," I told her. "I wanted to. It's nothing spectacular. Just some brownies, ice cream, and a bottle of wine." Dad emptied the bags, putting the ice cream in the freezer, the wine next to the sink, and the brownies with the pies. "Everything looks so delicious," Dean said. "Can we skip the turkey and go straight for the pie??" We all laughed and then Dad's cell phone rang. He looked at the caller ID and said, "Excuse me for a moment." He walked out of the kitchen to take the call, and I turned to Marissa. "Is there anything you need help with?" "Not at the moment, thanks," she replied. "But I would love for you to help me get the sides together later, like we did at your place last year." "I can do that," I said with a smile. "You guys can help yourself to some drinks or appetizers if you'd like," Marissa told the boys. "Hold that thought," Dad said, re-joining us in the kitchen. "Don't even tell me that call had something to do with a case," I told him. Dad didn't say a word, just looked from one Winchester to the other. "On Thanksgiving Day?" Marissa was obviously upset, as was I. "They can't give you guys a pass on this one?" I added. "It won't be long," Dad assured us. "They tried to find someone else, but everyone else is out of town for the holiday." "Wow, what a shocker," I said sarcastically. Sam looked at his watch. "It's just a little after 12," he said. "What time were you planning on serving dinner, Marissa?" "Around 6," she told him. "I give you my word that we will be back by then," Sam said. "I will keep an eye on the time." "Alright," Marissa let out a sigh. "Thank you, Sam." Dad gave Marissa a hug and a kiss, then Sam made his way over to me to do the same. "Please be careful," I told him. "I don't want to spend Thanksgiving in the hospital." "No guarantees, but I will do the best I can not to get hurt," he smiled. "And I will make sure the other two are careful as well." "I love you," I told him. "I love you more," he said. The three men made their way out the door and it was just us ladies. "This is the part of their job I despise more than anything," I admitted. "You and me both," Marissa agreed. "If it were any other regular day of the year, I wouldn't be as upset." "Same here," I said. "How about we pour ourselves some wine, take some of these yummy looking appetizers and go watch some chick flicks?" "You read my mind," Marissa replied. The two of us grabbed our goodies and made our way out to the living room, making ourselves comfortable on the couch. We were having such a great time watching movies that we almost lost track of time. I just happened to look down at my watch and said, "Oh wow. It's 5 o'clock already!" "Let's get in that kitchen and cook us up some side dishes, shall we?" Marissa replied with a smile. We went to work making mashed potatoes, creamed corn, gravy, green bean casserole, and cranberry sauce. Everything was finished within 45 minutes, so we started to set the table and putting the food out for when the boys returned. We took our seats at the table and waited patiently for that front door to open. Looking at my watch again, I turned to Marissa and said, "They have 5 minutes." We both took another sip of our wine, and about two minutes later we heard the door open and close. We listened as three sets of footsteps made their way up the stairs. "Your father is probably bringing them upstairs so they can wash up before dinner," Marissa said. "Makes sense," I agreed. "They don't exactly work in a sterile environment." We both giggled, then listened as two of the men made their way back down the stairs. They made their way into the dining room and took their seats at the table. "Everything looks and smells so good," Dad said. "I'm starving," Dean added. "Dig in," Marissa told them. "Where's Sam?" I asked. "He's still washing up," Dean said. "He'll be down in a little bit." "Uh huh," I said curiously. "Excuse me a moment..." I got up from the table and made my way up the stairs. "Sam? Sweetheart?" I called. "I'll be out in a minute," he called from the back bathroom. I made my way in his direction and peeked in to see what was taking him so long. He was pressing a washcloth to his upper left arm, and it looked like he had been bleeding. "What happened?" I asked calmly. "We were fighting off some demons, one of them had a blade, and well..." he said, lifting the washcloth from his arm. "Ouch," I said. "Let me see what we can do about that." I started searching Dad's cabinets for a hunter's emergency kit. Sam and Dean carried one in the car, so I knew what I was looking for. It contained things like materials for doing self-stitches, antiseptics, gauze, finger splints, etc. I located one underneath the sink and took out the needle and stitching thread. I took some of the antiseptic and cleaned out the rest of the wound. "Hold still, babe," I told Sam. "He doesn't have any anesthetics in here, so you're going to have to find something to bite down on." Sam looked around the bathroom for something he could use, and he decided to go with another washcloth. "Do you know how to stitch?" he asked. "I used to do needlepoint with Nana," I told him. "This should be no problem." He bit down on the washcloth and nodded his head, letting me know he was ready. I stuck the needle in his arm and carefully crisscrossed stitch by stitch until the entire cut was sewn shut. I made a knot with the last stitch and cut the remaining material with a scissor. I grabbed the gauze, wrapped Sam's arm with it, taped it up, and pulled his sleeve back down. "All done," I said with a smile. "You find new ways to amaze me every day, you know that?" he smiled back. I leaned in for a kiss, then we walked hand in hand downstairs to join the others for a wonderful Thanksgiving feast.