The Big 3-0

Since Sam and I were both turning 30 within days of each other, Dean and my dad took it upon themselves to plan a surprise party for us. Sam had told Dean he wanted to do something special for me, but Dean told his brother to leave all the party planning to him. "Take her out to a nice, early dinner," Dean told Sam. "Jim and I will get everything set up while you're gone." "Alright," Sam agreed. When Sam took me out to celebrate the Saturday after my birthday (the three of us spent my actual birthday at home, with the boys waiting on me hand and foot), I had no idea what I was in store for later that evening. Technically, Sam didn't know much about the party either...specifically the part where it was also for him. We wound up eating dinner at the diner. I'm not picky when it comes to going out to eat, even on my birthday. I don't need to get all dolled up and go to a fancy restaurant, as long as I'm spending my day with those I love. We sat down and ordered our food, and then we started talking about what to do after dinner. "I would have been fine just staying home again," I told Sam. "Just you, me, Dean, and my dad. That would be a perfect evening." "You can't forget about birthday cake," Sam smiled. "That has to be part of your perfect birthday celebration." "Ah, yes," I agreed. "Almost forgot about the cake. Must be my old age catching up with me." I winked at him and he laughed. "Don't go talking about old age," he said. "Don't forget I'm not far behind you." "Which is exactly why I said it," I told him. He pulled something out of his coat pocket and handed it to me. "I got you a little something," he said. "I wanted to give it to you now, since we're alone." "But we're really not alone," I replied. "There's a diner full of people here." "I meant without Dean or your dad, silly," he smiled. I returned the smile and opened the box he handed me. Inside, I found a beautiful wedding band that matched my engagement ring. It was adorned with diamonds and emeralds, mine and Sam's birthstones. "Oh my gosh, babe," I said. "This is absolutely gorgeous. I can't wait to wear it." "Not much longer to go now," he reminded me. "I have something for you, too," I said, handing him a small box. He opened it up and his eyes grew wide. "This is great, sweetie," he said, admiring HIS wedding band. It was a smokey gray, tungsten carbide band and it also had diamonds and emeralds around it. "I can't wait to see it on your hand," I told him. "Hopefully, it's the right size. I forgot to ask you, so I took a guess." "Is it alright if I try it on?" he asked. "This way we'll know for sure, and if you need to get it re-sized, we can send it out right away." "I think that would be an awesome idea," I said. Sam slipped the ring on his left ring finger and I kept my fingers crossed that it would fit. "Looks like your guess was spot on," he said, showing me the ring. "It fits perfectly." "And it looks good on you, too," I smiled. He took the ring off and put it back in the box. Our dinners had showed up by then, so we indulged until we couldn't eat anymore. Sam paid the bill, then said, "You ready to head home?" "Please," I told him. As we were walking back, I asked Sam, "Am I going to be walking into a decorated house?" "I honestly don't know," Sam replied. "Dean said something about him and your dad getting a cake for you, so I'm assuming they probably decorated a little." We got to the driveway and slowly made our way up the walkway to the front door. "Why is it so dark in there?" I asked. "I thought Dad and Dean were here?" Sam shrugged his shoulders and opened the door. The lights popped on and all we heard was a loud "SURPRISE!!" There were decorations galore, including a homemade banner that read Happy 30th Birthday Sammi AND Sam. I looked around the room and saw my entire family: Dad, Marissa, Scarlett, Drew, Declan, and my grandparents. Castiel was there too. I turned to Sam, whose jaw was wide open. "You had no idea, did you?" "I knew they were planning something for you," he admitted. "I didn't know they were planning to include me too. I am just as surprised as you are." I looked over toward Dean and my dad and said, "I knew leaving you two alone wasn't a good idea." They laughed, I smiled, and I made my way around the room handing out hugs and thanking everyone for being there. Sam followed suit, and Dean motioned for us to come to the dining room. As we walked in, I noticed a huge birthday cake sitting in the middle of the table. The writing on it said: Sammi and Sam, Awesome since 1983, Happy 30th Birthday. "I'm going to guess that Dean was in charge of the cake," Sam said, before I could get the words out. "Who me?" Dean asked, trying to play innocent. Everyone laughed as Dad lit the candles and started singing "Happy Birthday." Sam and I held hands and waited for the choir to stop singing, then we blew out the candles together as everyone clapped. The cake was absolutely delicious and everyone seemed to have had a great time. After everyone had left to go back to their hotel, Dad and Marissa stayed behind to help Dean with the clean up. Before they left, Sam and I each took turns giving them hugs. "Thank you for the party," I said. "It was so great seeing everyone together before the wedding. And it truly was a wonderful surprise." "For both of us," Sam agreed. "Dean usually sucks at keeping secrets, but he had me thinking the party he was planning was for Sammi only." "It was our pleasure," Dad said. "Glad you both had fun." "You two be safe getting back to the hotel," Dean told them. "Thanks for your help." Dad shook Dean's hand, Marissa gave him a hug, and they went on their merry way. Before we headed up to bed that night, Sam and I gave Dean a hug and thanked him for all the hard work he put into planning the party. "I love you guys," he said. "You both deserved it. I can't wait to see what Jim has in store for your wedding reception. That man can throw a party!" The three of us laughed, headed up the stairs, and went our separate ways for the evening.