Birthday Blues

The years seemed to be passing me by quickly once I found myself part of a family again. I felt like we had just celebrated 2012 and yet we had somehow managed to make it to 2013 and Dean's birthday again. Sam had left early to go and pick up some groceries for me so I could make Dean a birthday pie AND an awesome dinner. While he was gone, I decided to make Dean breakfast in bed since my plan to surprise the boys on Christmas morning had backfired. I cooked him up some eggs and toast, a waffle, some bacon, and some hash browns. I set the plates on a tray, along with a cup of coffee and headed upstairs to Dean's bedroom. I knocked on the door and asked, "Are you decent?" Hey, you never know with Dean! "I have my boxers on, you're safe," he replied. I opened the door and said, "Happy Birthday Dean!" handing him the tray of food. "This is all for me?" he asked. "Every last bite," I told him. He put the tray down on his night stand and said, "Thanks, princess. You take such good care of me and Sam. And I don't just mean on special days, but every day." "It's my job," I said. "We're family. Taking care of each other is what we do." He smiled and gave me a hug, then grabbed up his tray and started eating. "I'll let you eat in peace," I told him and started to walk out the door. "I'd rather you stay," Dean said. "Feeling a little out of it today. I could use the company." "Of course," I replied as I took a seat next to him on the bed. "Is something bothering you? I remember you being a lot more excited about your birthday last year." "Trust me, I'm excited that it's my birthday," Dean said. "I just feel a little off today, like maybe I'm getting sick or something." "Are you sure that's all it is?" I asked him. "When I was alone, I used to dread my birthday. I got what can only be described as the birthday blues." He looked me straight in the eyes and said, "It's not the birthday blues, I promise. Hopefully it's just allergies or something small." I put my hand to his forehand as he continued to eat his birthday breakfast. "You feel a little warm to me, but nothing to get too worried about," I said. "Obviously your appetite hasn't been affected, so that's a plus." He smiled and said, "It just means we won't be going out and having a birthday adventure today, that's all." "We can have an adventure here at home," I told him. "Even if Sam and I have to sit through some of your favorite movies just to make you feel better." "Where is my brother?" Dean asked. "I sent him to the store to pick up some groceries so I could make your birthday dinner and a birthday pie," I smiled. "You two are awesome," he said, finishing his food. I took the tray from him, kissed his forehead, then said, "Why don't you take a nice shower and when you get downstairs, I will have a nice cup of hot tea with lemon waiting for you?" I left the room and went down to the kitchen to load the dishwasher and boil some water for the tea. I heard the front door open and close, followed by Sam saying, "Honey, I'm home!" He walked into the kitchen with a bag on each arm and put them up on the table. I gave him a kiss and helped him unload the groceries, keeping the ingredients for the pie within my reach. I set the oven to preheat and got busy putting together a blueberry pie just as the tea kettle started whistling. "Can you get that for me, please, sweetheart?" I asked Sam. "The cup already has a bag in it. You just need to add the water and few drops of lemon juice." "I didn't know you liked tea," Sam said. "I actually don't really care for it," I admitted. "It's for the birthday boy. He said he was feeling a little under the weather today." "Nothing serious, I hope," he said with concern. "Probably just allergies or the making of a cold," I said. "I felt his head, it was slightly warm, but nothing to worry about. And his appetite hasn't been affected, so I'm sure he'll be just fine." I put the pie in the oven and washed my hands, then gestured for Sam to follow me into the living room. Dean had already made his way downstairs and was cuddled up on his chair with his fleece blanket. "Here's the tea I promised you," I said, handing him the cup. "Thank you, princess," he smiled, taking his cup. "Happy Birthday big brother," Sam told him. "Thanks Sammy," Dean replied. "I take it we're not going on any adventures today?" Sam asked. "Your wonderful fiance offered to sit through the movies I want to watch, since it IS my birthday and all," Dean said with a smile. "Whatever you want, you got it," Sam agreed. He took his normal spot on the couch and signaled for me to come join him. As I was getting ready to sit down, the kitchen timer went off. "That would be the pie," I said. "I'll be back." I left the room to get the pie out of the oven and turn the oven off. After placing the pie on a cooling rack, I made my way back into the living room and took my place next to Sam on the couch. The boys and I watched an assortment of action flicks, horror movies, and even a few romantic comedies (and yes, Dean had the remote the whole time). Around 5 o'clock, I excused myself to the kitchen to get started on dinner. I had decided to make Chicken Marsala over pasta, ceasar salad, and homemade garlic breadsticks with marinara sauce. I turned the oven on while I worked on the Marsala mix. I followed that up with the breadsticks and the salad. I took the chicken out of the fridge and laid it out in a casserole dish, pouring half of the Marsala mix over it. I put the chicken and the breadsticks in the oven to cook and then grabbed a large pot for the pasta and a small pot for the marinara sauce. While everything was cooking, I grabbed some plates and silverware and walked out to the dining room to set the table. At about 6:15, everything was finished. I brought all of the food out to the table, set out some wine glasses, poured each of us a glass of wine, then called the boys over. As they sat down and looked at all the great food in front of them, Dean said, "Happy Birthday to me!" Sam and I laughed. When we had all had our fill of food, Sam cleared the table and brought out the pie. Dean's eyes lit up like fireworks on the fourth of July, and he again thanked me for making his birthday a memorable one. By the end of the night, I think it was safe to say that Dean was feeling much better than he had when his birthday began.