Chapter 39 - If I Win What Will I Lose?

"Stop doing this to me."

I stared blankly at Brandon as he just sat there on the floor like a helpless person. What was I supposed to do? I stressed him out this much.

But what. What the heck was I doing to him anyway? I wouldn't know, because he's not saying anything.

"Are you mad?" I asked, my voice so tiny I can't believe it came from my own mouth.

He peeled his face off his hands and looked up at me, since I was sitting on the bed while he was on the floor. "What do you think?" He said, in a sarcastic way.

Then he stood right up, and started pacing back and forth again. I quietly pulled my legs up and hugged them against my chest. This wasn't happening.

"You really don't think do you?" He started, a look of disbelief in his face. "No, you don't actually get it! You're a girl Mira! Why would you challenge a bunch of guys you don't know into a fight? Do you think you can do anything alone? You're strong, I get it, but you're just too reckless! You don't think at all!"

That outburst popped my nerves. The guilt I was feeling right now turned into anger. I don't know. Maybe I'm getting it mixed up since I've been so tense since earlier.

"What did you expect me to do?" I said, mirroring his tone and expression. "To just stand there and do nothing while they do whatever they want? Say whatever they want?"

"I wanted you to at least call for help!" His voice was raising, and so was his temper. Needless to say, I was about to do the exact same thing. "You could've called somebody as soon as you felt suspicious of them!"

"I was defending myself!" I said. "Why would I call someone for help when I could've handled it by myself?"

Facepalm. That was not what I was supposed to say. I know I'm wrong, but my mouth just kept going on. My bad habit at trying to win every argument is resurfacing at the worst of times.

"Well you did a great job handling it!" He chuckled in mock laughter, waving his hands in the air to emphasize his point. "What could've happened if I didn't come just in time?!"

"Well I'm sorry for that!" I yelled, not sounding sorry at all. "I wasn't in the right state of mind because of you. So I'm sorry okay?!"

Shut up Mira. Shut up shut up shut up.

"So it's my fault now?" He asked, increduously.

"I'm not saying it's your fault you stupid fuck. I'm saying... What I mean to say is..." I started trailing off my words when I realized how harsh I sounded.

My anger melted for a bit. We weren't supposed to be arguing right now. I shouldn't be hanging on my pride just so I can win this argument. I'm gonna lose him.

But bad habits die hard.

I looked at him, my brows creased and my face - I don't know what the hell I looked like. He was staring intensely at me, waiting. "Why should you care? Why are you getting mad at me? Who gave you the right to yell at me? Seriously you're always pissing me off!"

No! No! Stop it! Shut up!

Stop making everything worse!

"It's not that I... You... Argh!" He jumbled in his words, sounding more and more frustrated. He flipped his hair impatiently as he sent me the same hopeless look from earlier, but this time it had a mixture of anger and sadness. "Stop doing this to me Mira!"