Chapter 31 - The Floor

"Damn it Ray!" Mom kicked uncle's leg when she found out he ate the bag of Cheetos she brought and didn't leave some for us. They were currently sprawled on the couch, with uncle sitting on the edge and mom lying down on the opposite side, her legs placed on his lap comfortably.

Uncle Ray was snickering as he swatted mom's feet away, but my mother was persistent. A short battle of the feet and hands went on, and in the end, uncle got kicked in the face.

I laughed out loud, in the middle of that gory movie.

Not particularly new in any case.

"Damn it Paige!" He whined, rubbing his jaw. Mom withdrew her legs and rubbed her feet as well.

"What's your beard made of? Cactus? It itches."

I sighed happily on the floor and tried to ignore my lovely guardians behind me. Mom kept shooting sarcastic comments about uncle's beard and uncle kept whining about his jaw and how he felt sad about getting kicked around by his best friend since high school.

I kept quiet the whole conversation, slowly sinking into my own conscience. Do I kick Leo around and stuff? I think I'm pretty nice to him.

And as soon as I thought that, I get hit by a shitload of memories where I was not at all kind to him.

Well. Damn.

I am my mother's daughter.

The movie was pretty much forgotten. All of us cleaned the mess afterwards and went to the kitchen to find something to eat. Again.

Mom grabbed some bacon in uncle's fridge and went to fry them. She knew exactly where everything was.

Me, at a loss for words in front of my very mature mom and uncle, decided to be an obedient little potato by patiently waiting for the wonderful bacon to get served.

Uncle sat beside me on the dinner table and then he gave me a sheepish grin. I eyed him knowingly, because I know he was gonna say something that'll get me worked up.

"So," he started, flashing me his perfect teeth. Sometimes I wonder if he wears dentures. I adjusted my position in my seat to face him directly. "You and Brandon."

I didn't realize my cheeks flame until I felt the heat rise in my face. How did I know my traitorous cheeks flamed? Why, the damn smug grin on my uncle's face said it all.

I nonchalantly avoided his eyes and hid part of my face in my hair. Like, yeah, why wouldn't I? It's not like I'm gonna make it any more obvious. I mean. Why the hell am being so awkward?

He chuckled softly, looking very pleased with my reaction. "I knew there was something going on between you two the moment you kicked his nuts and went straight to my office for some ice."

"Uncle!" I whined, literally shutting him up by slapping his mouth with the table napkin. My hand moved on it's own accord. Swear.

He was unfazed. He was probably used to the same treatment from my mom since they were my age. I don't know why I keep feeling so bad for Leo every time I acknowledge mom and uncle's relationship.

"So?" He pressed, ignoring the fact that I just napkin-slapped him. "Are you going to talk to him?"

"Uugh..." I buried my face in my hands. Not for the reason that I was flustered by my uncle's choice of subject, but because I know how much of a coward I am to even look at Brandon, much more talk to him. "What's the point of talking about this?" I told the man dejectedly. "I know I screwed up. It was such a tiny issue, I don't know how it got so big. I don't know how one minute we were laughing, and then the next minute, it was so tense and cold. It's my fault. I screwed up big time."