Chapter 6-church days

It was Sunday morning. Phil sat in his pyjamas on the sofa. That was, until his dad came down.
"Phillip?! What do you think you are doing?! Church is in an hour, and you're not even ready yet!"
"I'm sorry dad I'll-"
"Stupid boy" Phil's dad planted his hand into Phil's check, before retreating off.
Phil touched his cheek. He had been hit by his father before, but never been slapped.

He quickly followed his orders and went up to his room and changed.

When they arrived at church, Phil sat at the back. He didn't want to be in sight of his father.

To Phil's surprise, Dan was here on time. Though, he wished Dan wasn't, because he kept staring at his cheek.

When church had finished, as per usual, they went off into the back room.
No one talked.
Phil broke the silence. "So-uh-today we will be looking at the-" before Phil could finish his sentence, he was interrupted by his own coughing.
"Are you ok?" Dan asked. Phil was curious to how Dan, all of a sudden, was being really genuine and kind. He'd never seen this side of him before.
"Yeah" Phil cleared his throat.
"No...seriously? What happened?" Dan watched Phil's cheek sympathetically.
"Oh-uh nothing. I just...tripped"
Even though Dan didn't question any more, he could tell that that wasn't what happened.