Ch. 2- An old Friend

The alarm clock went off. Tired and drained I looked at the time while turning it off. It was 9:55. I got up not so proudly and walked over to my closet finding a jean blazer and a bright green tank top to match with my dark blue skinny jeans. I grabbed my white studded belt from my desk chair and walked to the bathroom and put on my clothes.

      I decided to wear makeup today to cover my not appreciated bruise on my cheek. It was swollen still and it has been two days. I put on cover-up and did the LA palette nude design on my eyes. And a bit of light pink lipstick. I walked back to my bed lifting my pillow and grabbing a cigarette out of the pack mom bought me. I was getting low from smoking so much because of stress. I opened the window. Wondering what it would be like to just slide through the window run out back and dart down the road.  I could just pack all my bags and leave, never to return.

    But where would I go. Who would I have to go to? How would I live? I only know one thing. I will be out of here on my birthday. I just have to plan something.

       I didn't hear the lightly tapped knocks at first because of my daze but then I heard three more. I put my cigarette out quickly by throwing it out the window. The ground was literally right outside. I closed the window as the door opened. My heart was pounding hoping it wasn't my father. Also knowing he wouldn't knock anyway.
"Karlie? Are you awake?" I heard my moms sweet and calm voice.

     "Yeah." I exhaled what I had smoked and my heart started to slow down.

    "There's a girl here. Her name is Christie? She wants to speak with you." I heard her start to walk away as the girl started walking down the steps. My father had actually let me have company? I questioned myself.

    Christie? I tried wrapping my head around it but couldn't.  I pretended to start the laundry, making it look like I was too busy to talk. Probably some girl from the highschool selling cookies.

     "Karlie?" The voice sounded very familiar and when I turned around I seen a familiar face. Emerald green eyes stared at me. She had dark skin and long brown hair to her breast in cornrows. They formed a weird pattern with a heart shape on the side of her head by her ear. She had a blue crop top shirt on with light blue skinny jeans. Her pants hung perfectly at her ankles. Indian looking open heels with dangling threads and bronze colored beads fit to her feet. I looked her up and down twice recognizing exactly who she is and rushed her into a tight hug.

    "Christie!" I squealed and hopped up and down with excitement.

    "What are you doing here! I thought you went back to Puerto Rico!" I was so excited as I let go of her. I dont think I have been this excited since I got my first barbie doll when I was five.

    Christie was my best friend in highschool. We would go to the guidance office everyday and harass the women until she gave us the same classes. Sometimes even got detention together.

      "Well I live with my Nanna now. I have not seen you in what? Two years! How have you been?" She looked around the basement with a confused look. "This is your bedroom?"

      I looked around. "Well, yeah. I guess, this is the big home my parents where talking about when we lived in PA." I paused.

   "Forget about me tell me about you." I pulled her to sit down with me on the bed. She looked outstanding, she used to be pretty heavy in school. She thinned out nicely.

     "Well, where do I start. Nanna has been helping me get into some classes and I left Puerto Rico because papa got caught by the cops for dealing drugs. Mama and Abby". She hesitated and her face expression had fallen. Noticing the smile left my face I put my hand on hers.