Chapter 11

Kirsten

I sat in the back of the truck, looking around the field as I hugged one of my new shoes. It was just so perfect. We were sitting in the middle of this beautiful field, there were some trees close by with birds singing in them, I just got my new shoes and I was here with Lucas.

Lucas, he was just so wonderful. Sweet, funny, and he actually listened to me. I still couldn’t believe that he had actually remembered it, all of it, right down to the star shoelaces. And not only that, but he had also cared enough to actually buy them for me. And they were perfect! And he was perfect. Everything was perfect.

“You’re going to have to let the shoe go if you want me to lace that one up for you too.” I looked over at him and he smiled to me.

I sighed dramatically then handed him the shoe. He laughed then handed me the one he’d already put the star shoelace on. “Here, you can death grip this one.”

I laughed then looked at it. “It’s so perfect. I think I’ll put it on now.”

He smirked as I pulled off my stylish boots and pulled on the shoe, slowly fixing the shoe lace. When I was done I held my foot out so I could get a good look.

“Oh yes,” I said with a smile, “It looks perfect.”

He laughed then held up the other shoe. “Yeah, but I think you’re missing something.”

“Ha ha,” I said sarcastically as I yanked the shoe away and pulled it on, quickly fixing the lace. “Now it’s perfect.”

“Hm,” Lucas tilted his head then pulled a sharpie out of his pocket. “Not quite.”

“What are you doing? And who carries a sharpie in his pocket?” I asked, my eyes wide as he pulled my foot into his lap and uncapped the sharpie. “You are not going to ruin my new shoes.”

He smirked up at me. “Not ruin, personalize.”

I bit my lip and watched him write something on the white tip then smiled as I read it. “Ignored princess?”

He grinned. “Now there’s no denying that they’re your shoes.”

“Yeah? Give me that.” I pulled the sharpie away then grabbed his foot and wrote tortured prince across the white tip of his shoe. “Now yours is personalized too.”

He laughed then pulled the sharpie back and started writing more on my shoes. We spent the rest of the afternoon laying in the back on his truck, looking up at the sky, laughing, and writing and drawing on each other’s shoes.

It was actually really fun tossing the sharpie back and forth while we talked about nothing and everything at the same time.

“I think it’s out of ink,” Lucas said with a laugh, tossing the sharpie toward the cab of the truck.

I smiled as I looked up at the stars. “It’s so beautiful. Wouldn’t it be amazing to live out here?”

He smiled, getting a sort of sentimental look on his face. “Yeah, it would.”

Then something suddenly occurred to me and I sat straight up. “Holy crap, will we get in trouble being out here? I mean, we’re parked on someone’s land.” My eyes slowly got wide. “Some country person’s land, what if they try to shoot us!!!”

He laughed, sitting up. “They’d fire a warning shot first.”

“Somehow that doesn’t make me feel any better!”

He smirked. “Don’t worry, I know the owner.” That made me relax, a little. Lucas looked into the distance then smiled softly. “Come on, I want to show you something.”