Chapter 24

Kirsten

I’m not sure why I chose to go to the park, I just needed to get out of the house and it was the first place that popped into my head. I didn’t even realize there was someone else there until I was already a good ways into the park.

I looked up then froze as I saw Lucas sitting on a bench a few feet away, staring at me. “Hey,” I said quietly.

He nodded then that little girl came running out from behind the slide and hopped into Lucas’s lap. She looked up at me and blinked then smiled shyly, waving.

I smiled. “Hi, what’s your name?”

She looked up at Lucas and he gave her a small nod. She smiled and looked back to me. “Ally. I’m five.”

I sat down on the other end of the bench. “Hi Ally, I’m Kirsten.”

She giggled then hid her face on Lucas’s shoulder. I smiled and watched her as she slowly turned her head toward me, her long blonde hair in her face, and looked up at me with her sweet blue eyes. She was just such a cute little girl.

“You are so cute,” I said, making her giggle and hide her face again.  

Lucas smiled. “You going to be shy today?” She peaked out at me then hid her face again. He chuckled. “Alright then, you want to go play?”

She hopped up and hurried to a patch of grass nearby, sitting down and looking at the flowers.  

I smiled to Lucas. “She’s precious.”

He nodded slowly. “Yep.”

Ally stopped and looked back to Lucas, pointing to the flowers. “Can I have one bubbu?”

“Sure Ally cat,” he said, “just don’t pick them all.”

Hold on a minute, did she just say bubbu? I turned to Lucas. “Bubbu?”

He smirked. “She’s my little sister.”

Wow did I feel stupid. “Oh jeeze.” I leaned forward and held my head, feeling like an idiot.

He laughed. “She’s five years old, I was thirteen when she was born. You really think I’d have a kid at thirteen?”

“Well I didn’t know how old she was!” He laughed and I shook my head again. “I feel like an idiot, I’m so sorry about last night.”

He shrugged. “I probably should have mentioned her before.”

“Yeah, but I should have trusted you more.”

“True,” he tilted his head, “I think most of our fights are due to your lack of trust in me.”

I rolled my eyes. “Jee, thanks, blame it on me.”

He smirked. “How about your lack of trust in me and my anger management issues.”

I smiled despite myself. “That sounds a little better.” I looked up at him. “Do you forgive me then?”

“If you forgive me.”

I acted like I was thinking about it for a minute then leaned over and kissed his cheek. “I forgive you for stupidly keeping information from me that would have prevented our pointless fight.”

He laughed. “Thanks, I think.”

I turned back around and watched Ally. “So why is she living with you?”

“Roger threw her into a table.” I blinked and turned toward him, but he was just staring forward blankly. “So I packed our things and took off.”