Chapter 2

Lucas

I parked my old truck in the driveway and looked up at my house. It was one of those fancy looking houses that cost too much. It wasn’t huge or anything, but it was still bigger than we needed. Sometimes I swear my mom wants to be a Barbie or something, with the perfect house and perfect family. I couldn’t help but smile; I guess I squashed that dream.

I tossed my keys on the counter as I walked inside, looking around to see who all was home. “I’m home, anyone here?” I called out.

Two seconds later I heard little feet racing through the hall and smiled. A 5 year old girl with blonde hair and blue eyes came running around the corner and flew toward me. I scooped her up and spun her around.

“Hey Ally Cat.”

She hugged my neck and giggled. “Bubbu!”

“Did you have a good day?” She smiled wide and nodded as she played with my hair, pushing it around my eyes. “Hey, what’d I say about doing that?” I asked in a fake upset voice that made her giggle again.

“I dunno,” she shrugged.

“You don’t know? I thought I said don’t touch the hair.” I started tickling her and she laughed even louder, squirming around until I stopped.

“Have a tea party with me!” She said when she finally stopped giggling.

“A tea party?” I started walking down the first hall, where her bedroom was. “I think you’re confusing me with a girl. Boys don’t have tea parties.”

She giggled but stopped as the front door slammed shut. I turned and looked back in the living room to see Roger standing there. Roger was my mom’s husband, though I still insisted on calling him her boyfriend in the hopes that he would eventually go away. He’s also the biggest jerk I knew. We didn’t get along at all, but most of the time mom just ignored it, even when Roger took things too far, which he often did.

Roger’s eyes zoned in on me and I could tell he was in a bad mood. “You know what Samuel Chambers told me today?” Samuel Chambers, that would be Josh the jock’s father. He and Roger worked together.

I adjusted Ally on my side. “What?”

“That you’ve been fighting again, with his son.” There was that tone again, the I’m about to tear into you tone.

“Hold that thought.”

Roger narrowed his eyes as I walked into Ally’s room and set her down at her activity table. I pulled out my iPod and helped her put on some headphones. She smiled to me as I put on her playlist.

“I’ll be back in a minute to see how the tea party is going,” I told her as I turned it up; not so loud that it would make her deaf, but loud enough to block out me and Roger. I kissed her forehead and she went about her tea party, completely clueless of what was going on.

I turned and walked out of her room, closing her door and going to have another pointless argument with Roger. But something told me this one was going to hurt.

Kirsten

I walked inside my fabulous house and tossed my bag by the couch. Walking into the kitchen, I grabbed a granola bar and started snacking on it. I was halfway through the granola bar when I realized my mother was standing by the counter behind me, and I only noticed because she cleared her throat.

I jumped a foot, putting a hand over my heart. “You scared me.”

She looked back at me and smiled. “Sorry dear, not my intentions.”