Chapter 7

Kirsten

“Earth to Kirsten!”

Josh’s words pulled me out of my thoughts and I turned to look at him as he drove. “Sorry, what?”

“I swear, you have the worse attention span.” He shook his head. “You’re lucky I’m the kind of guy that’d put up with that.”

“Oh, sorry. What were you saying?”

“I was saying that I’ll just come pick you up on Friday. If I trust you to come on your own you’ll just be late.” He sighed. “You can’t ever show up on time, not even if your life depended on it.”

“Right.” I leaned my head on the window for a second then sat up. “Oh, can we stop by the store real quick, I need to grab some things.”

“I thought you wanted to go home,” he said.

“Well I do, but I need some things first.”

He sighed, frustrated, “You’re always changing your mind.”

“Nevermind,” I sighed, leaning my head back on the window.

“Man you’re moody today.” He shook his head. “You are so hard to please, you know that?”

“I know,” I muttered, looking out the window.

“Besides, you can’t go into a store looking like that.” He motioned to the clay that was drying on my clothes and arms. “What were you thinking? Now aren’t you glad you have me here to tell you when you’re being stupid and stop you from making those mistakes?”

“Yes Josh,” I mumbled.

We pulled up to my house not a moment too soon and I quickly hopped out of the car, slamming the door and hurrying inside. After a quick look around to make sure my parents hadn’t seen me covered in clay, I hurried to my room and jumped in the shower.

After I was sure I got every bit of clay out of my hair, I climbed out, pulled on some PJs and looked around my room for something to do. I was about to go back into the living room when I heard my computer make a noise.

“What the?”

Sitting down at my desk, I noticed that someone had sent me a message. “Hm, well there’s something to do.”

I pulled it up and couldn’t help but smile when I saw it was from Lucas.

You there princess? I have an idea for your class project.

Are you going to do it for me? I typed. It’s the least you could do after this afternoon. I just now got all the clay out of my hair btw.

Hey, you deserved it, and no. You can take pics of light painting.

Light painting? What the heck was light painting? What’s that? I typed.

I sat there for a while, strumming my fingernails on my desk and waiting for a reply. It seemed like he was taking forever. I was about to ask if he was still there when he suddenly typed back that he had to go and his status changed to offline.

“Well that’s kinda rude,” I said to myself, crossing my arms.

“Kirsten!” My mother called from across the house.

“Yes?” I hollered back.

“Come down here!”

She didn’t sound mad, just a bit anxious, so I closed my laptop and hurried into the living room, where she was.