Chapter 31

Lucas

“Wait,” I said, looking at the two cops standing near the door. “He’s pressing charges . . . against me?”

They looked me over, the shorter one raising an eyebrow. “Yes. He is.”

“Please tell us what happened earlier tonight.” The taller one pulled out a note pad and pen.

“Was in the park . . . Roger came at me with a bat . . . because he’s insane! . . . and I defended myself.”

The shorter one raised that eyebrow again. “You see, he says that he was driving by and saw you in the park then stopped to talk and you attacked him.”

“That’s crazy!” Kirsten yelled. I turned and looked at her, a bit shocked by her outburst. “That’s not what happened, Roger attacked Lucas!”

“Where you there?” the taller one asked.

Kirsten suddenly looked embarrassed and sank down. “No.”

“Then please remain silent.” He looked to me. “What do you have to say about this?”

I narrowed my eyes. “Simple . . . he’s a liar.”

“Right,” the shorter cop said slowly, crossing his arms. “That’s a little hard to believe, seeing as he’s an upstanding citizen and you are a troubled young man who is always getting into trouble.”

The taller one looked up at me. “Do you do drugs?”

Were they serious!? If I was strong enough, I’d be yelling at them right now. “I don’t get into trouble . . . and I sure as hell . . . don’t do drugs.” It took a lot of energy, but I managed to get those words out, coated in anger.

The doctor suddenly came in, looking worried, and glanced around. He quickly walked over to the monitors I was hooked up to and tapped the one with my heart rate on it. I was making it beat pretty fast, and doc didn’t seem too happy about it.

He turned around to look at the cops. “I’m sorry, but he is in no state to answer your questions tonight.” They started to protest but doc just held up a hand. “You are getting my patient very worked up when he should be resting, so I’ll have to ask you to leave. You can come back and question him tomorrow.”

They walked to the door then stopped, looking back. Doc lifted a hand and shooed them away. “Go, he needs to rest.”

Before they left, the short one looked back at me. “We’ll be back tomorrow.”

“Not going anywhere,” I said with a smirk, though it took some effort.

He turned around and slipped out the door. I let out a sigh of relief then turned to look at doc. “Thanks,” I said quietly.

He smiled and nodded. “You need your rest.” He then looked to the girls. “Which means you two need to leave soon as well.”

The girls sighed then nodded. “Alright,” Dawn said, standing up. “We’ll say goodnight.”

The doctor left, closing the door behind him. Kirsten frowned as she looked to me. “I don’t want to leave you alone.”

I smiled, reaching for her hand and holding on as tight as I could manage. “You have school . . . I’ll be fine . . . promise.”

“You’d better,” Dawn replied, trying to smile. “Ally needs you.”

Oh poor Ally. Was she alright? Was she scared without me? I hoped mother didn’t find her and try to take her back to that house. Would Seth’s mom mind watching her until I got out of here? And I was going to get out of here, I’d already made my mind up on that.