Chapter 12

Lucas

Of course, I didn’t ask Kirsten what we were supposed to do at school the next day, Friday. I had the whole drive home to ask her, but no. I didn’t say a word about it. I though, eh, what’s the big deal, we’ll just figure it out tomorrow. Well, it’s tomorrow.

I’m standing here at school and I have no idea what I’m supposed to do. Should I go say hi? Maybe I could casually wave to her, or a nod at least. Maybe? No, that sounds stupid, no way.

I looked over to the popular kids section and saw Kirsten standing in the middle of them, acting all normal, like nothing happened. She wasn’t even glancing this way. Alright then, I guess I’ll go with plan C; avoid and ignore her until art. It wouldn’t be too hard; it’s not like we usually talked before then anyway.

I looked back behind me, surprised that Seth wasn’t lecturing me again for staring, when I realized it was because he wasn’t there. I took a good look around, trying to spot him. Seth was always here early, usually before me, so where was he? I glanced back to the populars and realized that Josh and one of his friends happened to be missing too. Great.

I dropped my bag by the guys and took off inside the main building, figuring that’s where they’d be. After a few minutes of searching the halls, I found Josh and Cole shoving Seth against the lockers.

“Hey!” I yelled, pushing up my sleeves as I made my way over to them. “Let him go.”

“Can’t,” Josh grinned, looking back to Seth. “You’d think the fairy boy would of remembered what today is. Don’t you people love to dress up for this crap?”

“Fairy boy,” Seth said quietly, “nice, real original.” Josh glared, pulling Seth forward then shoving him back into the lockers.

Seth winced and Cole looked over at me, grinning. “He’s not wearing green and it’s St. Patrick’s Day. It’s our duty to do this.”

 “I don’t think this counts as a simple St. Patrick’s Day pinch,” Seth said, squinting an eye and waiting for them to hurt him for speaking up again, “Seems a bit excessive.”

“I’ll show you excessive,” Josh said raising his fist, but I had closed the gap between us and caught his arm before he could hit Seth.

“I said, let him go.” I glared then shoved Josh into Cole, throwing them both off balance. While they were distracted, I grabbed Seth and pulled him beside me.

“I’m really starting to get tired of you, freak.” Josh clenched his fists as he regained his balance and took a few steps toward us. “It’s time you learned your place.”

“You and the rainbow boy,” Cole added, advancing on Seth.

I clenched my fists, ready for a fight, when suddenly Kirsten jumped between us. “What in the world are you doing!?”

I immediately stepped back but Josh just glared at her. “Teaching these freaks a lesson.”

“About what?” she demanded, her hands on her hips.

“The little one isn’t wearing green, and it’s St. Patty’s Day,” Cole answered with a grin.

Kirsten rolled her eyes. “Seriously?” She opened her purse and pulled out a green hair scrunchie then turned around and grabbed Seth’s arm, pulling the scrunchie onto his wrist. She turned back to Josh, a daring look in her eyes. “There, now he’s wearing green.”

Josh moved beside her, looking pretty ticked off, and I tensed, ready to jump him if he tried to hurt her.

“What the hell are you doing?” Josh sneered.