Chapter 14

Kirsten

“I can’t believe I did that, I cannot believe I just did that,” I repeated over and over as I pulled my shoes off, leaning back on the cab of the truck.

Lucas smiled to me as Seth drove through the neighborhoods. “Neither can I, you actually stood up to him.”

“Well he pissed me off.”

“No kidding,” Lucas smirked.

I shook my head, looking up at the night sky. “I’m just tired of him always telling me how useless I am and that he can’t take me anywhere. And of how he just uses me to impress people, like ‘hey, look at this hot girl I snagged,’” I said, imitating his voice. “It’s horrible.”

“He’s a sad excuse for a boyfriend.” Lucas grinned slowly. “You sure you don’t want me to knock him into next week? We can have Seth turn around.”

“No we can’t!” Seth yelled through his open window. “Seth is not going back there to get his butt kick, no thank you.”

I laughed then shook my head. “No, it’s alright. I threw a drink in his face, so I’m good.”

Lucas stared at me with an amused look on his face. “You threw a drink in his face?”

I laughed again and nodded. “Yeah.” I smiled up at him. “I’ve always wanted to do that.”

“Well power to ya then.” He smiled and wrapped an arm around me. “You sure you’re okay though?”

I nodded, kicking my shoes away. “Yeah, I’m just glad to be out of there. I hate parties.”

“Me too,” Lucas said, glaring at Seth through the back glass, “well, those kinds of parties anyway.” A grin slowly grew on his face and I knew he had an idea. “Hey, you want to see a fun party?”

My eyes widened slightly. “Uh, no.”

He chuckled. “It’s nothing like that crap; this one is actually going to be fun.”

“Oh heck yeah it will be!” Seth yelled from the driver seat.

I laughed then turned around, looking to Seth as he stopped in front of my house. “What do you think, should I come?”

Seth smiled to me, pulling my green scrunchie off his wrist and handing it back to me. I’d almost forgotten about that. He nodded. “Definitely.”

I smiled to Lucas then shrugged. “Well the incredible Seth says I should come, so I’m coming.”

Lucas grinned then jumped out of the truck bed, holding a hand out and helping me down. “Great. Swing by my house tomorrow night around 6:30.” He glanced down at my dress then smiled to me. “If you want to blend in, I suggest you wear something not so bright. But, you’ll look good either way.”

I smiled, reaching into the truck bed and grabbing my shoes then raised on my tip toes and kissed Lucas. “Good night.”

He grinned. “Good night princess.”

Lucas walked to the passenger door as I headed for the front door. I couldn’t help but grin as I heard Seth hooting and hollering, teasing Lucas about the kiss. The truck pulled away and I leaned back on my front door, finally letting out a long breath. Tonight had turned out just perfect.

Lucas

After dropping Seth off at his house, I moved to the driver seat and went straight home. I looked at the truck clock as I parked in the driveway and smiled. It actually wasn’t that late, I’d done pretty well.