Chapter 27

Kirsten

We still managed to have fun at the zoo after Angel left and when we finally got back to Lucas’s apartment, there wasn’t too much time left until sunset. We spent the extra time playing with Bandit, then managed to get a few of my pictures taken near his apartment, in the dim light as the sun set. They actually turned out pretty good too.

I wanted to stay longer, but it was a school night and I didn’t want my parents to get mad at me for being out too late. Plus, my mom was already mad at me because of our fight the night before. I didn’t even talked to her this morning, just left a note before I took off.

Lucas had offered to drive me home, but Ally was pretty tired and had already crashed. I knew he couldn’t leave her there alone and I didn’t want him to have to wake her up just so he could drive me home. The apartments actually weren’t that far away from my house so I told him I’d just walk home. It’s how I got there this morning since my mom had hidden my car keys.

I was almost home when suddenly Josh stepped out in front of me. I jumped back, putting a hand over my heart.

“Holy crap, don’t do that!” I yelled. “I thought you were some creepy stalker about to attack me in the dark.” I looked Josh over then stepped back. “Then again, maybe you are.”

I started to walk around him, but he stepped in my way. “No, wait. Let me talk to you.”

“Heck no, I said all I had to say the last time we talked.” I crossed my arms. “You remember, right? You practically beat my door down after I threw you out. If that doesn’t say crazy ex, I don’t know what does.”

He looked to the side, looking like he was actually embarrassed. “I’m sorry about that, but it’s like I said before. I just get so worked up when it comes to you, because,” he paused all dramatically then looked up at me with a regretful and sweet face. “because I love you.”

I had to bite my lip so I didn’t burst out laughing. He was just acting so dramatic, like this was some teen romance movie, and I knew he was lying.

“You do not love me, Josh.” I pushed past him and kept walking toward my house.

“I do too!” He sounded so whinny and childish when he said it that I knew for sure it wasn’t true. “You don’t know how I feel about you.” He caught up to me and jumped in front of me again.

I sighed as I stopped. “But I know how you are and I know what you want, and I’m not it.” He started to talk but I just held up a finger. “No, you think I’m what you want, but I’m not. Not really.”

He frowned. “That doesn’t make any sense.”

“Oh course not, it wouldn’t to you. But it does to me.” I flipped my bangs out of my eyes. “Besides, I’m back with Lucas now and I’m very happy.”

His eyes widened. “Do what?”

I grinned. “Yep, despite everything that’s happened, me and Lucas are back together and that’s the way it’s gonna be.”

Anger flashed across his eyes and he spun around, kicking a fence. “After everything I did!” He yelled. “After all that information I got Angel, and letting her boss me around, and even sneaking into my dad’s room and getting that freak’s step-dad’s number off his phone for Angel, and this is what happens?”

Whoa whoa whoa, what? “Hang on a minute, you gave Angel Roger’s number?”

“I just can’t believe it!” he yelled, going on as if I hadn’t said anything. “I almost got caught too! And then I would have been grounded!”