Chapter 4; Getting Past the Lion With A Dragon

~Getting Past the Lion With A Dragon~

Lucy Heartfilia had never felt so nervous. Her skin was crawling and peppered with goosebumps. Her hair was on end, much like a cornered cat's. Her ears and eyes were sharp, anything that moved or made a sound made her jump. Her knees trembled and her muscles were tense.
Lucy looked like a frightened animal.

No wonder Gray Fullbuster was looking at her strangely. Currently they were in the never ending hallways of the castle of Celestial. Trying to carry a hundred-something pound unconscious Dragon up more then a hundred steps. More then once they had to hide in either a closet or in another darkened hallway to escape attention. Both had not been discovered. But, it was only a matter of time before they were.

The ebony haired boy knew this. And by the way Lucy was jumping at every little sound or shadow, she would give them away. Honestly, Gray could care less about the creature he was holding in his arms. But he knew Lucy felt differently. For whatever reason that was. The young man sighed and shifted the creature in his arms to get a better grip on him.

The Dragon Boy's wings were making it very difficult to carry him. Gray kept losing his grip, not wanting to touch the wings that made the boy so different. That, and Lucy would hiss at him at how he would hurt the creature for touching his broken wing.
Broken wing.
That information kept swimming around in Gray's head.
That means he can't fly. Dark blue eyes flashed to the Dragon's calm face.
He can't get away then.
Not to mention his many other wounds that would slow him down.

Gray could go get the Guards right now. Lucy alone couldn't move him, she wasn't strong enough. Even if the creature woke up then he also couldn't escape. The Guards would come, take the thing away, and Lucy would be safe. Hell, they would all be safe.
Gray didn't know what the Dragon would do when it awoke. But, he could imagine. And that imagination was filled with blood and fire and screams.

There was a reason why nothing Magical no longer showed itself.

The Princess and him had just hit the third floor when they heard it.
The heavy pounding of steal toed combat boots. Dark blue met brown.
They both knew who belonged to those shoes.
The Princess' Personal Guard.
Loke.
He had come looking for Lucy.

The very girl sucked in a breath as the heavy footfalls came closer...Closer...Closer.
Gray cursed under his breath and he picked up the pace. Soon Lucy had lost her grip on the Dragon and Gray was the only one supporting his weight. The unconscious boy was being jostled as his carrier ran, Lucy close behind.

Lucy's brown combat boots clicked clacked on the polished floor, alerting her presence to all. Gray was silent as he hurried along, having lost his shoes long ago...and his shirt. The young man cursed again as he padded along through the hallway. He was so close to the next flight of stairs that would lead up to Lucy's room. So close...

Gray never made it.

For there was Loke, already waiting for him. Blocking the stairs with his body. Hand in one of the pockets of his black pants. Other hand up to his eyes, fingers playing with his glasses. A knowing smirk on his handsome face. How did he-
Only then did Gray see it.

His shoes and shirt on the floor next to Loke's polished black boots.

The cat bastard had sniffed him out.
"What are we going to do?" Lucy whispered, her back pressed against the wall, out of sight of her Guard's keen vision. Gray copied her and peeked out from the corner, he felt better with Loke in his sights.