3 - Boredom

~Sam's POV~
I opened the door to her room, not expecting to see Dean on the floor. I crept in and woke him up. I could tell by looking at him that he had hardly slept and he looked like he was uncomfortably asleep on the hard floor. He woke up easily.

"Sam?" He asked, confused.

"Hey, I can tell you've hardly slept. It's already 10:00. Why don't you go to bed? I'll stay with her. You could use a good bed, and you need sleep too." He nodded, let out a yawn and headed to bed. I sat there in a chair at the desk. She continued to sleep for a couple hours. She looked so small on the bed. She was such a young girl and yet she had been through more than anyone should. Suddenly she sat up and frantically looked around searching for Dean. "Hey, hey, it's ok. It's just me. Dean went to bed because he was having trouble sleeping on the floor. I told him to go to bed and I would stay in here with you." She hunkered against the headboard.

"I-I'm. S-" she started but her voice had faded to a whisper.

"You're scared?" I finished her sentence. She nodded. "I don't blame you. A lot of scary stuff has happened to you recently. I know we've told you a zillion times, but I swear we won't ever hurt you or let your dad or anyone hurt you ever again. You're safe."

"I know I'm safe from my dad and you guys want to protect me. I'm scared that it's all gonna be a dream and I'm gonna wake up and be back at home with my dad." She explained with tears brimming in her eyes. "He beat me every day. My mom just watched. I had no choice but to run. I thought I was gonna die. I just feel alone." A lone tear coasted down her cheek, hitting the bed with a soft thump.

"I totally understand. You have me and Dean now, though. You aren't alone anymore." I said. I scooped her up in my arms. She was 7 so she wasn't tiny, but she was still small enough to hold and carry without being too heavy. I could tell by the way she always explained how she felt and the way she described things that she was so mature for her age. She probably had to grow up faster than she should have because of her dad. It was almost weird how she understood most of what went on and what we said. She leaned her head into my shoulder. She didn't cry more, but she relaxed significantly.

"You smell good, Sam." She commented.

"Thanks kiddo." I said with a chuckle. "Do you want some lunch?"

"Yes, Please." I carried her to the kitchen and sat her down on the counter. She watched me make some mac and cheese and had a big smile on her face as I put some on a plate for her. She moved to a chair and dug in. "Thanks for the lunch." She added as she ate.

"No problem kiddo." I replied. "If there's anything you ever need, let me know."

"Ok. I'll let you know. Umm, what am I supposed to do now?" She asked calmly.

"What do you normally do?" I asked. She had a point. There wasn't much to do at the bunker.

"Hide under my bed with my favorite stuffed animal. Now I have nothing." She looked like she would cry any second.

"I'll talk with Dean and we will see what we can come up with to do." She nodded as she wiped the tears from her eyes with the palms of her tiny hands. I crouched down to her level. "Hey, don't cry. It'll be ok. You have us. You're family now." I consoled. She wrapped me in a hug and I felt so bad for her. She was so scared and had been through a lot and she was only 7.

Suddenly Dean walked in. "Hey, why is she crying?" He asked. He sounded really concerned, not something I heard in his voice very often.

"There's nothing for her to do here and she feels like she has nothing now. I don't blame her. There's not really anything to do around here." I explained.

"True. Hey, do you like to color, play with dolls, what do you like to do, Hannah?" He asked. Dean seemed to be great with kids. That was a slight surprise.

"Yeah. I like coloring and dolls." She replied shyly.

"Ok. Then we'll get you some. I'll go right now. We're kind of off work today anyways." Dean said, grabbed his coat and headed out.

"Wanna watch some TV while we wait for Dean?" She nodded eagerly, excited to have anything to do. We chilled out and watched some kid shows, and Dean returned about half an hour later with several coloring books and a couple of dolls.

"Thanks, Dean."

"No problem, Hannah. I know it's boring here." She nodded. She took the coloring books and crayons from Dean, sat down at one of the tables and got started. Dean and I got started on some research.

"I thought you guys said you were off work." She commented.

"We are. We are just looking some stuff up to help with what we have to do for work tomorrow. We work from home for the most part anyways." I replied. She nodded in understanding and went back to coloring.