It All Started Here

"Cameron! Turn it up!" I laughed. We were driving back from the winter dance, listening to our favorite song "Stereo Hearts". 

"Hold on a sec!" He smiled and pulled to a stop at a red light and turned the radio up. I looked into his eyes and smiled. He looked back into my eyes and pulled a serious face.  "I love you, Hope." He said.

"I love you Cam." I leaned over to him and our lips connected. I pulled away and saw two headlights in the rear-view mirror. Before I knew it, the airbags exploded and pinned me back to the seat. "Cameron!" I yelled. No answer. "Cam! Cam! Can you hear me?!" No answer. Everything started spinning around me and then went black. 

"Hope? You're awake." A sigh of relief was released. I blinked several times until I could see. I rubbed my eyes and stared ahead. 

"Mom?" I asked. "Where's Cam?" She looked down. "Where's Cameron?!" The doctor entered the room holding a clipboard. He smiled at me and sat in the chair next to the hospital bed. 

"Hope. You were in a car-" He started.

"I know! A car crash... all I want to know is where my boyfriend Cameron is."

"Cameron was announced dead about 4 hours ago. I'm sorry, Hope." He patted my arm as tears started flowing out of my eyes.

My boyfriend is dead.

*****************************

~ 1 month later ~

I woke up to the sound of my alarm clock and walked downstairs. I sat on one of the stools at the high counter and looked around. My eyes spotted a note on the fridge.

Dear Hope,

You have an afterschool group meeting today. Don't forget. Love you.

Love, Mom

I ate breakfast and took a shower. I applied mascara and eyeliner and walked into my room, running my fingers through my dark brown hair. I changed and trailed my finger over my desk and skimmed the picture frame closest to my jewlery. A picture of Cameron and I. My eyes passed it and moved onto the jewelery box. I chose the necklace Cameron gave me for my birthday, grabbed my bag and went of to school.