Chapter 3 - When Two Different Worlds Collide...

Chapter 3 - When two different worlds collide...

Mariam's POV: 

I could hear the sounds of owls hooting and sirens wailing. Night time was rapidly descending in London and engulfing the starlight and illuminated sky. The stars flickered and sparkled as I stared at the picturesque look it acquired. My mother and father had gone away for the night to stay at a friend's house and my brother Jamal was using this as a perfect opportunity to play loud and instrumental electronic music. The melody was repetitive and pounding. It was Friday and it was 8:30pm. In just thirty minutes, for the second time in my life I was going to meet Danny. My heart thumped loudly like a drum and my palms were sweating. I had already been ready for almost an hour and stood by my tiny window staring at the sky which was the only thing that was calming me down.  I walked towards my mirror and stared at myself while sitting down. I had tried to keep make up to a minimum as I didn't like the overdone look. I wore a long and silky black dress with silver straps that I hoped looked elegant and effortless. I also wore black heels and simple silver earrings and necklace that I had bought at a local store.

Apprehensive feelings aside, I felt blissful and jubilant as though this was the beginning of something joyful but this didn't mean I wasn't feeling petrified. I finally looked below and saw a black BMW parked just outside my house. My heart began to race rapidly as a slender, youthful and towering figure appeared wearing a trendy suit. I stared at my curvaceous figure and petite height. We were total opposites. I walked down the stairs and had a closer view of him. He had a bronzed and tanned complexion, sultry almond eyes and a generous mouth. His hair was black and appeared soft and bouncy and it was slicked back into a simple and standard haircut. People brushed and hurried past and the sound of traffic seemed distant. Time stopped and we both smiled eagerly.

 ***

Danny laughed awkwardly as he realised he was staring at me intently and had an ecstatic look on his face and opened his mouth and began to speak while arching his eyebrow "You look divine, Miss Ali."and I blushed to a completely crimson colour while  he extended his arm and I linked my arm through his as he lead me towards his car and picked up the rest of my dress that was still trailing outside and then shut the door and sat in the driver's seat placing his hands on the steering wheel. 'Ready?' he inquired and I smiled in reply while sighing nervously "Ready." I confirmed. I stared out of the window astonished at how beautiful the city lights looked in contrast to the night sky. Abruptly, Danny drove around the boulevard and flyover while I sat in the back with my palms sweating. The city was filled with bustling and noisy couples and friends waiting outside clubs and business men leaving work in a hurry to get home. I wondered what my parents were doing at this exact moment and wondered if all of this was a mistake.