Chapter 28 - Love Letters & The Delivery.

Mariam's POV:

After I had explained to Maya about what had happened with Hassan she simply nodded thoughtfully but said nothing. The dinner was over and Daniel had already left and I offered Maya to stay over for a sleepover so I could keep an eye on her. I didn't want her to fall apart. I wanted her to be happy although a part of me wished she would divert her attention elsewhere as although he didn't mean to, Hassan was unappreciative of her so badly.

"I have something to tell you." Maya stated simply with a look of determination on her face. She walked over to her bag and pulled out a red envelope and then came to sit back on the opposite side of my bed propped up on her elbows. I tried to study her vacant and unblinking expression but she wasn't giving anything away just yet.

My room was scattered with chocolate bars, pringles and several other unhealthy snack foods and face packs so we could have a truly girly night in. I missed having a friend and I was glad Maya agreed to spend the time with me. She wore her long dark brown hair in a pony tail and brushed it out of her face as she slipped out the letter from her envelope. Maya wore a pink and black robe and underneath she was wearing a very embarassing but cute onesie. I wore my usual pink matching pyjamas and pink slippers to match.

"Ugh!" I moaned "The suspense is killing me Maya just tell me." I pleaded like a child.

Patience is a virtue my darling." she replied mischeviously with a radiant expression.

I shot her a quizzical look as to why she was so happy about the contents of her letter "Tell me!" I moaned.

"Shh." She replied holding her hand up "And let me read."

"Yay!" I danced around. The sugar was clearly making me way too hyper and my dance moves set Maya into a fit of giggles."You look like a deformed penguin. Your dance moves suck." she stated playfully.

Maya finally began reading the letter and the contents of that letter warmed my heart so much and filled me with so much joy.

"Dear Maya, I have been watching you for quite some time. I've noticed how sometimes you stare at your hands when you walk. The way you scrunch up your nose when someone has a bad habit and the way you laugh a little too loudly but that's what I love about you. I've noticed you're not being appreciated lately and I must say it pains me to watch you let a guy who doesn't appreciate you degrade you so much. You deserve to be treated like a queen not the third wheel best friend in one of those cliche romantic stories. You deserve to be the girl who gets her prince at the end and that's what I intend to be one day -- your prince. Maya, I ask of you to look around and try to notice me. Try to notice my heart that cries out for you. I know I'm silly for hiding behind love letters but I'm just too scared to approach you. Too scared that I'm not everything you want and you rejecting me because that's not something I could deal with. Girls like you are like treasured pearls only to be unwrapped by someone who truly appreciates you and maybe, just maybe if you open up your eyes one day you'll notice that I've been standing in front of you all along.

Lots of love,

From your secret admirer xo"

Maya looked up at me expectantly with a dreamy expression on her face. "He sounds perfect." "Beyond the valley of perfect." I replied "Wow, Maya I hope this guy tells you how he feels because you and him would probably make a killer match."